Author Topic: Question to the Mountain Dwellers Among Us  (Read 10022 times)

Vicki

Re: Question to the Mountain Dwellers Among Us
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 10:28:21 AM »
Do not delay the dump run. Church members lost their garage door to a bear breaking in for the garbage.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »
Just got back. Thank you, dearest. I picked up the neighbor's, too. He showed me the bear tracks. It appears to be a medium-sized bear. It is the custom of Native Americans to sweep the ground each evening around their houses. If there are tracks in the morning, one will have an idea of what has been around. My neighbor has worked with a native group here and adopted that practice, so the prints were beautifully preserved for his morning inspection.   
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Larry Lyons

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 11:48:17 AM »
It's back. Last night it was about 1,000 yards from here ravishing my neighbor's garbage can. Again, it left more evidence: a huge paw print in the sand.

This one is a black bear with a yellow Game and Fish tag on its ear so it has been captured in the past and didn't learn its lesson but they are hungry. Spring rains did not last long enough to produce food for them, so here they are scouting for anything edible.

Last week it was on the east side of the main road up to its usual antics, eating garbage. Although I recently made a dump run, there are two bags inside the closed garage - maybe another one is in order. Cantaloupe and watermelon rinds are in them.
Where I live, it is illegal to shoot bears without a hunting license and a special bear permit, and then only in bear hunting season. The same is true for mountain lions. In theory, if a bear or a lion is troublesome, the state Fish and Game people are supposed to be called to deal with it. Since the closest fish and game office is over 50 miles away, I have never heard that they actually ever do it. Of course they don't work nights anyway when the bears and lions usually come around. Therefore, troublesome bears or lions fall under the "Law of S.S.S." That means "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut up."
Loud noises will scare them off, but they tend to come back if there is a smell of food. People are very careful to never put food scraps in the garbage. Anything that a bear might eat is discarded in the woods safely away from the house.

Sister Dee

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2011, 11:55:47 AM »
Your news caused a small stir of excitement around here, dear Sister! 

It's got me to thinking as well.  Our rural subdivision is not far from the mountains.  Every now and then we hear of a bear around somewhere.  A few years back we were still putting our trash out the night before pickup day.  After a couple of times of coming out later and finding trash strewn down the street we finally started waiting to put it out until in the morning.  (When we first moved here we had very early trash pickup, but now it is afternoon.)  I thought it was a dog or dogs.  Who knows?  Might it have been a bear?   ???   :o  Interesting thought! 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 12:10:49 PM »
Larry - "Law of S.S.S." That is a good law and is practiced here in a pinch. A bear fell through a skylight of a home up the road some years back. It was in the middle of the night and the owners were shocked out of their beds. The man grabbed his rifle and finally managed to kill it but not before it tore up most of their house. He was sorely fined by Game and Fish.

Very likely, Sister Dee. 

Larry Lyons

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »
Sister Dee, if you have racoons, they can be almost as bad as bears for scattering garbage. In some areas, garbage can lids have to be secured with bungee cords to keep out the racoons.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »
Did you say that after nearly destroying the house that the court fined the family for killing the bear?  It is the heathen who love nature more than nature's God and those made in His image.   I guess the SSS has its foundation in such a sad state of affairs where you can't kill a bear inside your house. You can kill a person, but not a wild bear!  :(  Well, that is in many states. I suppose in your state, you may be arrested for killing rats. Don't laugh.  I read a story where a farmer was in trouble for killing rats in a field he was harvesting.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Vicki

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 02:06:01 PM »
Things get odder as time drags on - I was informed recently that pet stores, at least in one state, cannot sell live mice to snake owners - they must buy frozen mice.  ::)

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 04:21:12 PM »
Savvy snake owners live trap their own mice, so they don't have to lie to the pet stores.   ;D 

When I worked at summer camp we had a snake pit at the nature center.  We had no problem trapping plenty of mice for their dinner.  That's one reason I would not keep snakes now.  I would not like to feed them the mice, although I realize that they have to eat just like any other animal.  I just don't want to be the facilitator. 

I thought the law allowed for killing an animal in self defense.  What a crazy system that would fine a person for protecting themselves.  ::)  Of course, it's illegal to destroy an eagle's egg (fines; possible jail time); but it's legal to kill a baby before it's born.  If that isn't evil, I don't know what is.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 07:05:17 PM »
So true. Those who would do no harm to a violent animal slay unborn humans. Self reigns. That's the problem.

Yes, Richard, the man was fined $10,000 because he did not call Game and Fish to come take care of the bear. Insane. How can he do it when the bear is such an immediate threat? Could he get to the door to flee? And even if he could, would he be assured the bear would not follow? Could he reach his phone? What could he do in the midst of such imminent danger? Nothing but pull the trigger so that is what he did. The neighborhood was in an uproar. That is why many went to underground dealings. The law is unreasonable and even the G&F people know it.   

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2011, 07:38:22 PM »
Next time trap the irate bear and mail him UPS collect on delivery to the judge who ruled in the case, two days after mailing the same judge blueberry room air freshner .   
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ... and send him a bill for damages!

Sister Dee

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
The children would like to know, what happened to the bear? 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 01:44:45 PM »
It is still around. I have simply stopped talking about it. All the neighbors have secured garbage and stopped hanging bird feeders in hopes he will leave. He was spotted the other morning outside a neighbor's kitchen window.