Author Topic: From Sea to Shining Sea  (Read 22396 times)

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: From Sea to Shining Sea
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2017, 05:55:35 AM »
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2017, 07:46:20 AM »
I realize that this looks to be a boring picture but with a little explanation that might change a little bit. Taking up most of the left hand side of the picture is just bush but it's over lapping a Cottonwood tree that is almost at center. The tree appears to be about 12ft tall but in reality that tree is about 40ft tall and has been covered with the shifting sand. Most trees die when this happens but a Cottonwood can survive because when it's branches are buried they turn into a "root" to help nourish and stabilize the tree.    Click pic to enlarge if needed.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2017, 11:13:16 AM »
Need a little exercise? I have just the place for you! If you'll make the visit I'll promise to make the climb with you :)  So long as you don't mind taking the full two hours!

Yes... those tiny ants at the very bottom next to and in the water are people (click to enlarge)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 05:50:18 AM »
Jim, apparently, the warning does not stop all from going down to the fresh cooling water? At least not their first trip down. :)  A two hour climb back up, may work after they experience it. It looks like the picture was not taken from the top.   :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2017, 06:28:01 AM »
No, the warning sign certainly doesn't stop all from attempting the descent and climb back up. And you're correct the picture was taken part way down. I had to do this so one can see the bottom. If you stand at the top the drop is so steep you cannot see the bottom so if you want a picture of the shoreline you have go down part way.

There is another place in the UP that is very similar only not as high with similar warning signs.

I did attempt this a couple of summers ago. Like the sign says it only took about 30 seconds or less to get down. However, while my niece and nephew made it back to the top in about 15 minutes it took me all of 30 to make it back to the top. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2017, 06:51:47 AM »
The drop offs at the bottom sound scary!  But, unlike what I am accustomed to, they are not sheer rock cliffs, and the landing looks to be a bit softer than solid jagged rocks.  :)  The formation is unusual. Have not seen anything like it.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2018, 07:37:58 PM »
I had a little time this Sabbath afternoon for a hike in God's creation. I'm glad I chose this place.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 04:03:47 AM »
Looks too much like Maine in winter.  I want to see pictures of your trip to the Bahamas.  ;)

Nice pictures, Jim.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 06:38:58 AM »
Looks too much like Maine in winter.  I want to see pictures of your trip to the Bahamas.  ;)

Sorry about the Wally but you'll be waiting a long time to get pictures from me from the Bahamas. Think of it this way. Only 1.5 more months of true winter. Yes, March can be anything for us but normally by then things are warming up.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 05:24:54 AM »
Amen! And here we only have one month and eight days left. And, even in the end of February we will get some nice days and see the almond tree's buds swell and maybe bloom!!

Is that falling water frozen?  How cold is it there? At least the river is still moving?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2018, 05:15:37 AM »
Is that falling water frozen?  How cold is it there? At least the river is still moving?
It was frozen solid. Even though the temperature had risen to be in the 40's it takes a lot of warmth to warm a huge piece of ice like that. Earlier in the week it had been in the teens and single digits so the 40's felt like a tropical heat wave.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2018, 08:44:13 PM »
Thanks Jim, beautiful photos!