Author Topic: From Sea to Shining Sea  (Read 22395 times)

Dorine

Re: From Sea to Shining Sea
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
Breath taking Wally. Looks like the scenery we have around here. Richard you would love the east. Maybe it's time to leave California. ;)
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 02:25:45 PM »

Makes one wonder if it might not be better to move the East Coast where you can still build dams and water your garden and take a shower?

Well, it's a trade-off.  You have a long growing season--like all year for some things, while we have from about April to October, and that's it.  There is no water-rationing here, but it's expensive to heat one's home (unless you have land with wood to cut).  Unfortunately, our State has legalized same sex "marriage," but has not legalized assisted suicide, yet.  Your opportunities for using solar power are greater, there, as well.  There probably aren't as many radical environmentalists here, but they're increasing their presence.  Some remote corner of Montana might be a good place.  Still a lot of wide open spaces there.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 11:50:57 AM »
I wasn't able to make it out during peak color like Wally did but here is what it looks like about a week after peak.

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 05:34:34 PM »
Nice, Jim, especially that bottom one.  Looks like you've lost more leaves than we have.  Everything was about 10 days late here, but a lot fell today, and many more will fall tonight in the wind and rain.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2016, 06:37:25 PM »
Wasn't quite the color I was hoping for but I'm sharing anyway :)
click to enlarge

By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2016, 08:48:33 AM »
It's that time again.  Things are past their peak, but last week was beautiful.  Here are a few.

http://s644.photobucket.com/user/raven11467/library/

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »
This had nothing to do with the season, but awhile back there was a Stanley Steamer event, and a number of them drove through town.  For those who enjoy old cars, it was pretty interesting.  They are quiet like an electric car.  It's not really "nature," but I c couldn't figure out where else to post it.  Feel free to move it anywhere you like, Richard.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2016, 10:19:02 AM »
I don't understand what happened.  The pictures I posted aren't there, and one I didn't post is.  So, I'll try again.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2016, 05:51:43 PM »
Wally, it looks like you have yet another year with more color than we. It was 81 here today and I have the windows open and a large fan running at 8:50pm. I'm not sure what combination of things in nature gives us good color in the fall but we've lacked it now the last two years.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2016, 02:19:25 AM »
The odd thing is that everyone expected it to be a bad year because of the hot, dry summer.  Instead, it's been spectacular.  It just shows that determination of leaf color is much more complicated than we thought.

We haven't seen 80° for almost a month, but it's supposed to be in the mid-70's tomorrow, which is 15-20° above normal.  Global warming--bring it on!  By the way, some are claiming that the big storm which hit the Pacific Northwest last weekend, was due to "climate change."  Never mind that they get those storms occasionally.  I remember the big one back in '62, which produced a lot of wind even where I was in Calif.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2016, 03:31:49 PM »
Something I found a while back and I thought might be neat to share.

Vicki

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 06:00:38 AM »
 :) The background is as interesting as the foreground. Any idea of the year taken?

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 06:30:57 AM »
Any idea of the year taken?
I don't have a exact date but I can tell you it was between the years of 1909 and 1920 in northern Minnesota. I see a wooden wheel in the background. I'm not sure how long horse & wagons were used simultaneous with cars.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 06:26:50 AM »
Last Sabbath I took a walk on a favorite trail of mine. I thought I'd share what I found. It kinda messes with your eyes at first  :)

Vicki

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2017, 07:35:02 AM »
.... It kinda messes with your eyes at first  :)

It sure does! So many 'fool the eye' spots. I had to look away and think about it for a few moments before I could see it properly. Amazing.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2017, 05:17:54 AM »
Unless you're better at photography and have a better camera, a camera never seems able to capture the vibrant beauty of a rainbow. Nevertheless here is one I witnessed a couple of weeks ago.

ejclark

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2017, 04:56:01 PM »
I bet that was awesome in the fullest sense of the word.

colporteur

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
Unless you're better at photography and have a better camera a camera never seems able to capture the vibrant beauty of a rainbow. Nevertheless here is one I witnessed a couple of weeks ago.

Those are amazing. Usually a full rainbow like that has a double.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2017, 05:50:43 AM »
Those are amazing. Usually a full rainbow like that has a double.

Actually Cp, there was the start of a double rainbow above this one but it was poorly formed. This rainbow was truly amazing as it remained much longer than those I've witnessed in the past. At times it seemed to fade away and then it would come back in full force. Whole sky and atmosphere around us afterwards seemed to be lit up with very vibrant pink. Here is a pic of what it was like afterwards with no filter. I had never seen such a thing....

JimB

• Servant
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 09:47:46 AM »