Author Topic: Squirrels and Bird Feeders.  (Read 7323 times)

Larry Lyons

Squirrels and Bird Feeders.
« on: June 25, 2010, 10:01:24 PM »
I put up a new bird feeder several weeks ago and I'm enjoying the  colorful birds, such as Black Headed Grosbeaks, Purple finches, a few Spotted Towhees and a small flock of Band Tailed Pigeons (my favorites), and of course the loud and aggressive Stellar Jays that tend to hog the feeder. However my enemies are the squirrels. Actualy they are Chickerees. I finally decided that the local population was too crowded so I started live trapping them and transporting them to a different neighborhood a couple of miles away. The problem is that so far I have caught 20 and there seems to be no end to the supply of squirrels. My neighbor tells me I am catching the same ones because they are returning. I am a bit doubtful about that since the terrain is mountainous and the brush very thick, but I am beginning to wonder. The last 4 or 5 I have driven about 8 miles away, but this is getting to be a pain.

Any ideas besides a pellet gun or a 22? The feeder is mounted on 1 in. conduit pipe about 5 feet off the ground.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
Re: Squirrels and Bird Feeders.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 03:03:44 AM »
I can sympathize with you, Larry.  About 15 years ago I trapped and relocated 8 gray squirrels, and was not bothered by too many of those.  But now, I'm inundated with them, and they won't go into the traps.  I can defeat most of the red squirrels (the eastern cousin of the chickaree) with baffles, but it doesn't work with the grays.  Don't spend a lot of money on a "squirrel proof" feeder, since they eventually manage to figure them out.  I'm looking at one right now eating from my expensive "squirrel proof" feeder.  ::)  It worked for many years, until one finally managed to figure it out.  Relocation is the only option I know of that's foolproof, but to be safe I'd take them even farther away than a couple of miles.

Maybe you could train a cat to only eat squirrels, and not birds?

By the way, which chickadees do you get at your feeders?  I'm thinking that you could get Chestnut-backed, Black-capped, or Mountain, or maybe all 3 at various time of the year.

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Larry Lyons

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »
I haven't seen any chickadees at my feeder. They must be around. This is good habitat for them. I see a few goldfinches occasionally, but I suspect they are just passing through.

BTW, My neighbor warned me while ago that there is a bear with an injured leg hanging around. He has damaged a deer fence and has been seen near two of our neighbors houses. There is nothing much to do about it legally. The nearest fish and game people are more than 50 miles away and they are very resistant to driving out here for something like this.  The local remedy for this situation is "S.S.S." "Shoot, shovel, and shut up." I am told that one of the neighbors will likely do this. There are little kids up here these days. An injured bear can be very dangerous.

Vicki

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »
I pray the bear will be dealt with humanely and quickly so no people are injured.

I would mark the squirrels with a dab of paint to see if I was catching the same ones repeatedly.

I've considered a pellet gun for the seagulls. There's a flock of nearly 100 when they all roost - on a roof top 1 block away. Our immediate neighbor has been putting out whole loaves of bread for the birds. Pigeons, sparrows & doves I don't mind, but when the seagulls come for it - what a ruckus! If they choose our roof top to lounge on that will be the end of those flying rats. >:(

Larry Lyons

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 10:15:44 AM »
I pray the bear will be dealt with humanely and quickly so no people are injured.

I would mark the squirrels with a dab of paint to see if I was catching the same ones repeatedly.

I've considered a pellet gun for the seagulls. There's a flock of nearly 100 when they all roost - on a roof top 1 block away. Our immediate neighbor has been putting out whole loaves of bread for the birds. Pigeons, sparrows & doves I don't mind, but when the seagulls come for it - what a ruckus! If they choose our roof top to lounge on that will be the end of those flying rats. >:(
I have sprayed some of them with red paint, but it doesn't show up very well. I think a dab of white paint with a little brush will work better. If I decide to keep this up, thats what I will do.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 09:07:30 PM »
July 4th is coming - spray them red - white - blue or put a bell on them.  or put up a feeder for the squirrels with whatever they like more than the birds have.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Larry Lyons

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:02:28 PM »
July 4th is coming - spray them red - white - blue or put a bell on them.  or put up a feeder for the squirrels with whatever they like more than the birds have.
I have thought of putting up a separate feeder for them, but I think they would help themselves to both. They really like the sunflower seeds in the bird feeder.  Actually, I think I have made some progress. I have seen only 3 in the last 3 days, and I do not hear them often. I have not caught any since Friday.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 04:34:08 AM »

Only too true.  You could fill your yard with feeders, and the squirrels would multiply to devour everything.  I know this from personal experience.  ::)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Vicki

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 07:55:53 AM »
3 in 3 days has me thinking they are off busy multiplying at the moment.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
3 in 3 days has me thinking they are off busy multiplying at the moment.
No doubt you are right. I read that they have 2 litters per year, in June and October.

Vicki

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:44:47 AM »
Better buy more seed.

Larry Lyons

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »
Better buy more seed.

A couple of weeks ago I had just bought a 40 lb box of bird seed and had it setting in the living room near the front door which I often leave open when the weather is good, even when I am working out side. I left the box there for a few days before putting the seed into my secure container outside. After a day or two, I noticed there were some seeds scatterd on the floor. On closer look, I saw that something had knawed a hole in the box and pulling out the seeds. Later, as I was sitting in the living room with the door open, a squirrel came right in and began to help himself. I was sitting only about 6 feet away from him and the rascal just ignored me till I started talking to him. Then he left, but he didn't seem in a big hurry.

Vicki

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 06:26:19 PM »
 :D  Guess you move too slow to have earned respect.

I like living out of the cities - we leave our door open, too. The only critters we've had come in for a visit are a praying mantis and a lizard. The lizard was as friendly as your squirrel - he left quickly. The praying mantis eyed son like he was to be the next meal and had to be forced out.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 05:10:35 AM »
Wow - that is one brazen little squirrel, Larry!  :D
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Sister Dee

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »
Living in the high desert as we do, we have never seen a squirrel in the sixteen years we've been here.  That is, until a couple of months ago.  (I guess there are enough trees growing in our subdivision now to make our area more inviting!)  One of the children saw a gray squirrel filling his cheeks at our easily accessible bird feeders.  For us, this was great fun to watch!  I even went to Walmart and purchased a bag of squirrel food just for him.  He took care of that in rather short order and delights in taking off with the sunflower seeds.  (I tried getting him another bag of food, but they were out the last time I thought to look.)  We only see one squirrel at a time, but I'm guessing he is not alone.  You all now have more of my sympathy.  I can only imagine what it would be like to have more squirrels taking off with your birdseed!  But, we still very much enjoy watching our squirrel(s). 

Ed Sutton

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 10:57:50 AM »
Brevard NC

Brevard NC has white squirrels, once they mature.

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Sister Dee

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 12:06:23 PM »
Oh, Ed, they are beautiful!  And so cute!   :)  That reminds me, our squirrel friend also likes peanuts, which we set out for the thrashers.  It's so fun watching him take off with them. 

I don't want to give the impression we don't have squirrels out this way.  They are in the valley and the mountains, anywhere there are trees.  We live up on a mesa that is relatively treeless except for what people plant.  With squirrels around I guess that means things must be improving in the tree area! 

Ed Sutton

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 12:49:50 PM »
With of gray on the top of the head, those squirrels are mere babies, not grown at all. 

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 01:00:22 PM »
There is also a breed of white squirrels down here in the Big Thicket of Texas.

Re: squirrels and bird feeders, when they start getting my wife upset by eating the feed, she tells me and I get the .22 and thin them out. We live out in the woods and sometimes are overrun with them and have to thin them or else have no garden produce. Since the well went dry and our having to bathe in a horse trough out back, we don't have as many squirrels around lately. Three of them were watching me in the trough a while back and started laughing so hard they fell out of the tree and died! Talk about embarrassing!! :-[
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
:)

For those who have plenty of squirrel food, like cop, I have a lot of squirrels looking for food. Can I send them post paid? They are eating my pecans. And, they are not Christian about it at all. They care not that I any.  :(
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.