Author Topic: Accepting Donations From an Unholy Source  (Read 4214 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Accepting Donations From an Unholy Source
« on: May 22, 2010, 02:41:23 PM »
There are many in the world who are not part of our faith or maybe are not even Christian that the Holy Spirit will move upon to make a donation for a good cause. Is it proper to accept a donation from an unholy source? Let's take a look at the Biblical principles involved. I am not teaching, I am asking. :)  I have never thought this through, but am very interested in finding a Biblical answer that we can follow.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Accepting Donations From an Unholy Source
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
Such as ill gotten gain or unholy traffic?

Jas 5:1  Go to now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you.
Jas 5:2  Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are motheaten.
Jas 5:3  Your gold and silver is cankered; and the rust of them shall be a witness against you, and shall eat your flesh as it were fire. Ye have heaped treasure together for the last days.
Jas 5:4  Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.
Jas 5:5  Ye have lived in pleasure on the earth, and been wanton; ye have nourished your hearts, as in a day of slaughter.
Jas 5:6  Ye have condemned and killed the just; and he doth not resist you.

Liberality With No Depth of Principle

The minister may be the special favorite of some wealthy man, and he may be very liberal with him; this gratifies the minister, and he in turn lavishes praise upon the benevolence of his donor. His name may be exalted by appearing in print, and yet that liberal donor may be entirely unworthy of the credit given him.  {CS 205.3} 
     His liberality did not arise from a deep, living principle to do good with his means, to advance the cause of God because he appreciated it, but from some selfish motive, a desire to be thought liberal. He may have given from impulse, and his liberality have no depth of principle. He may have been moved upon by listening to stirring truth, which for the time being loosed his purse strings; yet, after all, his liberality has no deeper motive. He gives by spasms; his purse opens spasmodically, and closes just as securely, spasmodically. He deserves no commendation, for he is in every sense of the word a stingy man; and unless thoroughly converted, purse and all, will hear the withering denunciation, "Go to, now, ye rich men, weep and howl for your miseries that shall come upon you. Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten."  {CS 205.4} 
     Such will awake at last from a horrible self-deception. Those who praised their spasmodic liberalities, helped Satan to deceive them, and make them think that they were very liberal, very sacrificing, when they know not the first principles of liberality or self-sacrifice. --1T 475, 476.  {CS 206.1} 

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 05:26:57 PM »
Amen! God is not a respecter of persons and neither ought we be, no matter how much is donated. In the world, money buys favors and power, but it ought not be so in the church. I wonder how many have been advanced in their churches because of their fame or fortune? None ought to be.

This is understood, but what about their donations, are they to always be rejected? Or can a unholy person's donation be accepted? What are the underlying principles as far as receiving donations? Are we to seek out the manner in which the money was gotten? Are we to reject money gotten by illegal means? Are we to say "no" to money gotten by prostitution or murder? It is getting easier to begin to see some principles involved, but we need to spell them out.

I use the term "unholy" so that we will be forced to consider this subject in a more comprehensive manner.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 08:38:37 PM »
It seems pretty direct to say accepting funds received that were earned by breaking the Commandments of God would come with a curse - God would not accept that offering and neither should anyone else.

Regarding anyone receiving donations: Unless one knew the giver and the source of those funds, how would anyone on earth know they were tainted? Take our forum, for instance. We just recently began receiving donations for the maintenance and expansion of this ministry, yet anyone with access to the forum could donate. Do we know where the monies came from? I believe that part would be difficult.

Then there is the possibility that a drunk may stumble across our website, read and become convicted to change his life and he left a fat donation for God's cause. If his money was received from the sale of liquor, drugs or even if he had a marijuana field, how would the Lord look upon that money?

Questions ... but, my bottom line is with my first sentence. The rest appear to be situational for which I have no ready answer unless we believe God can use evil for good, which I know He has and continues to do.    

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 06:06:10 AM »
There are many in the world who are not part of our faith or maybe are not even Christian that the Holy Spirit will move upon to make a donation for a good cause. Is it proper to accept a donation from an unholy source?

If "the Holy Spirit will move upon" (anyone) "to make a donation for a good cause....", - -does not that moving of the Spirit of God make it an Holy Source?

Now when Jesus was in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper,
7 There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat.
8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste?
9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor.
10 When Jesus understood it, he said unto them, Why trouble ye the woman? for she hath wrought a good work upon me.
11 For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
12 For in that she hath poured this ointment on my body, she did it for my burial.
13 Verily I say unto you, Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached in the whole world, there shall also this, that this woman hath done, be told for a memorial of her.

-Would we re-frame history and Christ's response to a woman who bought her perfume, perhaps through prostitution? I would think that the motive with which Mary gave her gift to Jesus prompted His acceptance of it.

It would seem that the gift of every individual, Saint OR Sinner, whom "....the Holy Spirit will move upon to make a donation for a good cause....", is acceptable to God.

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. 14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil. Ecclesiastes 12:14

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? 11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. 12 Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. John 8:10-12

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. Psalm 51:17

-Shall you, shall I, despise the gift or the Giver whom "........the Holy Spirit will move upon"?  N0w, if the sinner who gives a gift "to a good cause" with an obviously sinister or suggestive motive; Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. Galatians 6:1

...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 06:30:36 AM »
....God shall bring EVERY WORK into judgment, with every secret thing, WHETHER it be good, OR whether it be evil. Ecclesiastes 12:14
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 07:25:03 AM »
Good point!

-Would we re-frame history and Christ's response to a woman who bought her perfume, perhaps through prostitution? I would think that the motive with which Mary gave her gift to Jesus prompted His acceptance of it.

It would seem that the gift of every individual, Saint OR Sinner, whom "....the Holy Spirit will move upon to make a donation for a good cause....", is acceptable to God.