Author Topic: Starting Seeds  (Read 36659 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Starting Seeds
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2016, 10:05:44 AM »
A reminder that it is seed planting time for many. It takes quite some time for some seedlings to be ready for transplanting. In the west, we have been getting early springs, so I ought to have started some seeds by now, but have not.  :(  It does not take long to put a few seeds in a pot!    I am going to try!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »
Everything has changed for me now that we have moved in with daughter and family. Very small garden area. My gardening will be done mostly in pots this year.

I do have grow lights set up with spinach and lettuces growing for winter use and I have been sprouting different kinds of seeds for smoothies and salads and sandwiches.

One thing I've learned is that chia seeds do not sprout well and I don't care for the texture of kale sprouts. I am going to try planting both in soil and cut them when small.

Our seed starting doesn't happen until the end of February for transplanting outside. I will miss my garden very much. The sad part is I wouldn't have to work hard here because my son-in-law has a back hoe and can do all the heavy work but in order to have a nice size garden we would have to spend hundreds of dollars to fill in a swamp and buy basic garden soil which would cost around $500.00.

One positive note is that my daughters and I dug and bagged all of our compost and good soil from our old property and it is in a pile next to the compost bins in our new location. So we do have good soil to put in our pots. Oh and one other thing we are going to start soon is indoor worm composting but I'll post that under the appropriate topic when we start.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2016, 02:55:55 PM »
God will work it out for you, Dorine. How about a wooden floor for a raised bed?
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:46 PM »
Yes Richard God always has a plan for every circumstance. We are so very happy here in every other way. And I'm enjoying the experience of grow light gardening through these cold months. Even our cat has his own little garden of cat grass that he enjoys everyday.

We have talked about building some "high" raised beds which would make gardening so much easier on this old lady.  ;)
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2016, 09:31:20 PM »
I was just talking with a friend encouraging her to taker her soil with her when she moves.  It is too valuable to leave behind!  :)

Dorine

« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »
It is very hard work but worth every sore muscle and aching back just to have that soil that took years to build up. Your friend will not regret the work involved especially if she can get some help.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: January 20, 2017, 09:04:27 AM »
Well......it is that time of the year for many of us. If we do not start our seeds on time, then we will be late in planting, which means we will get less food!  :(  I am not preaching to the choir, but to myself!   Am too busy to stop and plant my seeds. On the other hand, I had better make time!!  :)   Does anyone else hear an alarm going off?

Dorine

« Reply #87 on: January 20, 2017, 12:01:55 PM »
It's too early for us here in NS. We will start ours around the first week of April. We will be selling again this year. One of our customers has asked us if we would grow some tomatillo's. (not sure of spelling). I've never even seen one but I will be ordering some for the customer. Have you or do you grow them?