Author Topic: Spring 2010!  (Read 14404 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Spring 2010!
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 07:11:20 AM »
Sybil's estimate, or rather her weather report missed the forecast. It hit them very hard and they are snowbound. I asked for prayers for them in the prayer forum.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 04:23:31 AM »
Good morning dear saints! Richard's report of our unexpected blast of snow conjured up something quite severe that happened on my way home from Diane's Sunday. It was a spring snow storm par excellence. It was heavy with moisture before sunset then it froze on the roads as night fell. Ice built up very quickly on the windshield wipers to the point I had to pull over and clean them. Traffic was backed up to a snail's pace because the snow plows could not keep up. At that point the snow measured about six inches. Two cars spun in circles just in front of me, sliding off the road into a deep snow bank. I prayed they had cell phones. At the worst part, almost home, eight miles out, took about 2 hours.

The day had been warm so I was not at all prepared for an emergency with snow boots, flashlight or a heavy coat. I should have stopped in the name of safety, but I just couldn't do it. The consequences of stopping seemed to be worse than moving forward. My exit finally came and it was evident no plows or cars had been that way - mine were the first tracks. Even an all-wheel drive car in deep snow is a struggle but the car was safely led home. The only words I could say while driving were, "Dear God ..." I could not finish the prayer. He knew the terror of my situation and saw fit to get me home when I could not speak.

My family was overjoyed to see the headlights enter the driveway. By that time there was ten inches on the ground but the car plowed forward. It was my intention to tell them of the difficulty but there were no words, so I sat in silent gratitude that God got me home. At some point that night I checked the state's road closure website and saw that very road just traveled had been closed yet God let me through without anyone turning me back.

First light revealed a full fourteen inches of heavy, wet snow. The full impact of what could have been hit me. The impossible was made possible through a power much greater than impassable roads. Praise His Name!     
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 10:48:09 AM »
The Lord is good to us. Good to hear you made it safely back home.
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 10:54:57 AM »
Amen!!  Another evidence of His love and watchcare over us!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Sister Dee

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:02 AM »
Oh, Praise the Lord!  I saw how nasty it looked out that way and was praying you would make it home safely.  I'm thinking your angel keeps very busy, dear Sybil!   ;)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 12:55:17 PM »
I think so, Diane. Perhaps spiritual warfare is more intense than first imagined. A re-examination of my life is in order.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
I'm walking around confused every day now.  It looks and feels like April (snow mostly gone; temps in 50's and 60's all week), but the birds say it's only March.  Last year, on April 11, I took a picture of a patch of snowdrops behind our house.  Today, more than 3 weeks earlier than last year, I took a picture of the same patch of snowdrops.

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
We all know this is too early, and we could still get a major snow storm.  But we're enjoying while it lasts.  One of my neighbors, in a fit of temporary insanity, actually went out and planted some peas.  :o

Here's another picture from today.  If this keeps up some of my daffodils will bloom next week.  In the nearly 25 years I've been here, I've never seen daffodils blooming in March.

So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2010, 06:00:23 PM »
Beautiful, Wally! I have one lone crocus. The poppies and ground cover are sprouting! We are so thankful! Then, here comes yet another winter storm. We got 10 new inches of snow. Even the woodman was made weary. We thought we would not need another cord, but we did. It seems we have so much moisture that it won't need to rain at all this summer - at least not until August!  :D

Have a restful Sabbath!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 06:12:18 AM »
First day of Spring? Not around here! 10.75" overnight. Church at home today. I am finally ready to trade places with someone. Any takers?

Vicki

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2010, 06:31:15 AM »
Wow - that's beautiful. Remember how you thought it was so great not so long ago? ;) Now that I'm not freezing and enjoying the 70 degree weather I'll agree with you!  ;D

Sister Dee

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2010, 06:37:39 AM »
Oh, that's lovely!  I am so glad it happened while you were at home!   :)

As for us, we finally have our first decent snowfall on the ground here, but only a few inches and the street looks clear.  At this point, I'm thinking about the unpaved parking lot at our little church.  Hmmm.  Not going to be nice for whoever is in charge of cleaning the church this month! 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2010, 10:08:23 AM »
First day of Spring? Not around here! 10.75" overnight. Church at home today. I am finally ready to trade places with someone. Any takers?

I can sympathize with you, Sybil.  One year we had several snowstorms the latter half of March.  On April 1, I had 42" of snow in my yard.  Couldn't plow the driveway because it was too soft.

Overall, though I think your winters are shorter than ours.  What we're experiencing this year is unique.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
Hawaii. That is what I want.

Sister Dee

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »

Aw, that would be too far for us to see you then!   :D

We ended up with 5 or 6 inches I think, but it's already gone.  Too bad the kids didn't get to make that snowman.  It was nice, wet stuff! 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 05:05:39 PM »
If laziness did not have a current hold upon me, I'd snap a pix of what is happening outside my window and over this great state of ours!

Snow, snow and more snow. 60 mph winds with horizontal snow. My confidence in spring had built up to a degree that I did not purchase a load of wood last week so I had to run get some this morning. Temps tonight will be below 20! Winter simply will not let go!

Global warming, anyone? It is nowhere to be seen around here! 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 05:23:03 PM »
No GW around here, either.  We escaped it, but Vermont had over a foot of snow in spots yesterday.  We had a few snow squalls today.  70 degrees is forecast for Sabbath.  :)  The "inconvenient truth" is that the GW proponents are strangely silent when temps are well below normal--as they were in much of the country this past winter.  If they say anything at all it is that "this is what we'd expect from "climate change."  ::)  Hogwash!!

Sister Dee

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 05:30:43 PM »
Snow, snow and more snow. 60 mph winds with horizontal snow.

How about 60 mph winds with horizontal sand?   :P 

Our temps have dropped, though not like yours, and the wind is blowing in through our swamp cooler, which we hooked up earlier this month when it was much warmer.  It feels like the cooler is turned on, but it's not!  Brrrr!  Hard to believe that it's nearly May. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 10:24:23 PM »
Tomorrow I will post pictures of my tomato plant containers filled with hail. :(  Yes, things are indeed out of the ordinary.

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2010, 08:56:55 PM »

Well Sister Sybil, I don't have Hawaii, but you can come and visit me. We are all done with the snow and into thunderstorms now and then, beautiful sunny days that are not hot at all. Wind that is not filled with dust. Opps, now I'm letting on how happy I am not to be in the southwest. But you would like it Sybil. Come, see us for a visit. I mean it. :) Sister Marie
With Christian Love,
Marie