Author Topic: Music in my life  (Read 18751 times)

Elder John Thurber

• Moderator at Rest
    • http://
Re: Music in my life
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2001, 03:16:00 AM »
Richard, I would be glad to have anyone use the material I've posted, and the reason why I have not posted in a while is because I have been asked again to publish a book on music and a very fine writer has agreed to help me organize the material and get it ready for publication. I will post as we go from now on. I am not doing this for money or ego, I feel sick in my heart for our youth who are being led in the devils trap.
Please pray for me, and I give God all the praise.

Friend John

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2001, 03:44:00 AM »
Thank you, my dear friend.  :)

Any thing we can do to aid you in your work, we will be most happy to do. I think we can work towards becoming a resource in this important area. I guess we ought to consider starting a separate forum and begin building a library of material for our members. Now, it is a little scattered and more difficult to find. Will coninue this discussion elsewhere so as to not get us off topic.  :)

Thanks again for your concern and taking time to testify of what God has done and is doing in your life. May the Lord's rich blessing attend your work in this area of Christian music.

Richard

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

M.A. Crawford

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2001, 08:55:00 AM »
Elder Thurber, I enjoyed reading your autobiogaphy about your life and music and believe it is just that interesting that it  should be published in book form. I would certainly buy one, and I am sure there are others who would do the same.

M.A.

M.A.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2003, 02:59:00 PM »
I want to take the opportunity that I have to share with our members a few songs that Elder Thurber has written. I think this topic is a good place to do so. Some may desire to better understand his thoughts on music and this will help all to see that they are centered in Jesus.

Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Ed Christian

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2003, 11:56:00 AM »
Elder Thurber, thank you for sharing part of your autobiography with us. It was a pleasure to find out more about your formative years.

When I was a boy, just about the only records we had were The King's Heralds, and I used to listen to them over and over. They mastered the use of the quiet song that calls people to Christ. I far prefer the a cappella albums, and I still listen to them.

Here's a hymn I wrote a couple years ago. It's only been sung in public one time, but I like it.

Our Lord and Our Example

Tune: #274 “O Word of God Incarnate”
7.6.7.6.D

Our Lord and our Example, we lift our hands to You
In humble supplication: May we love as You do.
Teach us to love our neighbor, and, more than that, our foe,
To care for them in weakness, to share with them in woe.

Our Lord and our Example, we lift our hearts in prayer
For cleansing and renewal, that we might truly care.
Consume us with the longing to tell Your love for all,
With passion to save all souls and turn them from their fall.

Our Lord and our Example, we fix our eyes on You
And plead for strength and courage to bear our cross anew,
To love you more than parents, than children, more than breath;
Obedient in all things and faithful unto death.

Our Lord and our Example, we lift our song of praise
In grateful adoration, O Master of our days,
For freedom from our bondage, for victory over sin.
O, make Your victory ours, Lord; let Your love dwell within.

– Ed Christian

God Bless
Ed

------------------
You might enjoy my new book, published by Review & Herald: "Joyful Noise: A Sensible Look at Christian Music."

You might enjoy my new book, published by Review & Herald: "Joyful Noise: A Sensible Look at Christian Music."

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2003, 12:25:00 PM »
Beautiful words, Brother Ed. I don't know the melody, but will try and get it to put the words with it.  :)

It has a message we all need to learn.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2003, 07:46:00 AM »
I was contemplating this topic when I realized what a blessing it is to have "music in my life". Jesus when He walked in our likeness upon this earth often was heard singing. I think too much of the time we live without music in our lives when we could have it.

Do you think we would receive a greater blessing if we sang more and maybe listened to more hymns during the day?

Sister Marie

• May God's Light Shine On Us All
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2003, 10:00:00 AM »
How true brother Richard, I am always blessed so much more with Christian Music playing.

Brother Ed, I know the melody to that song and your song goes with it beautifully. The words come from a knowledge of Christ ways and our need to follow in them. Thank-you for sharing this with us. It truly was beautiful as I played it through my mind. Smile

------------------
With Christian Love,
Sister Marie

With Christian Love,
Marie

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2007, 06:47:00 AM »
Hello, Brother John Thurber! I know your book has blest many people, me included. Thank you again for the complimentary copy!

To you on the forum who do not know this little story, I will share a bit of it ... John Thurber's brother, Wayne, was my principal at Valley Grande Academy. He entered my life at a critical point of deep grief and sorrow. Elder Wayne Thurber turned me loose in song. He not only let me sing my way through so many trials, he encouraged it, thus enabling a beginning to heal. I will never, as long as I live, forget him - remembering how wise he was not to counsel me with a bombardment of words, but a liberal dose of music, holy music, uplifting music. He never got to know how much I loved him, how much I appreciated his fatherly wisdom, that the love of the Father was shining right through those beautiful eyes of his straight to a young daughter's breaking heart.

Praise God for the Thurber family and a mother who was thoughtful in everything she did with her children. Her influence is evidenced in John's life, thus interspersed into the lives of those that came in contact with her children.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 10:05:05 AM »
In reading though this thread again, my mind was led back to the 1990 General Conference Session when Elder John led out in the song service on Sabbath morning. What a blessing!  The angels sang with us. I have never heard anything so beautiful and I don't suppose I will again until heaven.

My prayer is that amid the difficulties in the church, and remembering how music continues to spiral downwards at our meetings, God will reveal His presence in a similar manner as He did in 1990 at Indianapolis. We are still  in need of men who by example can reflect the true standard God has given His people, as much as we need those who will call sin by its right name. These character traits ought to be found in each of us as we abide in Christ.