Author Topic: A Thought For Today  (Read 177511 times)

wigina

Re: A Thought For Today
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2013, 07:54:45 AM »
Friend, spare a thought for  me today. Reading through the account of my saviour in the 4 gospels, His suffering and death was enlightening. The intrigues and the movements here and there. I realized for the first time that Jesus was taken to herod simply because the ruler of galilee was in town and pilate was simply)simply mending fences! But more importantly brethren I then read this verse 1: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2: And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3: And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4: And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5: And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
  -- Genesis 1:1-5 (ukjv) which brings me to the question if it was even and then morning, the first day, does it not therefore mean that Sabbath is Saturday morning through saturday night. Please spare a thought today and enlighten me. Thanks. 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #221 on: May 24, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
Wigina, there are many wiser than I, so hopefully others will add their thoughts too.  The verse you cite from Genesis, says "and the evening and the morning were the first day." Evening coming first. "And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." The rest of the verses citing the creation use the same language. "And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."  That is not proof positive, but it gives us a clue. The Jews reckoned their days beginning with the evening. That helps us also. Here is one verse from Scripture that reveals the 24 hour day begins with the evening which begins at sunset. "It shall be unto you a sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your sabbath." Leviticus 23:32. 

The Passover began at sundown. "In the fourteenth day of the first month at even is the LORD's passover." Leviticus 23:5.

Those crucified with Jesus had their legs broken so they would die before the Sabbath began at sundown. When did Mary go to the tomb? It was on the first day, the Sunday. But, Wigina, did she wait until the sun went down to go? Or did she go before the sun came up? There you will find your answer as to which comes first, the evening or the day.      "The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre." John 20:1.

Does this answer your concern?  Have a blessed Sabbath dear brother!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

wigina

« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2013, 06:19:35 AM »
now am enlightened brother Richard. And I am truly greatful when we reason together and learn to ask then even the hidden are brought to the fore and are hidden no more. Thank you and happy Sabbath to you too!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2013, 08:46:04 AM »
Wigina, a wise man learns to ask questions so that he may learn, while those who are to shy to ask remain where they are in their understanding.  There is no shame in revealing we do not know it all. The shame is remaining wrong when one could have the knowledge of what is right. God will bless us as we learn from each other. One of my favorite ways of learning is to find someone who knows what I don't, then sit down and ask questions so that I can understand what I don't know.  I have not the least bit of shame in admitting my ignorance. In the world it may be looked down upon, but it ought not be so in the church.

In asking the question, dear brother, you have grown in your understanding of an important matter. You also have caused others to better understand from Scripture, and you have caused me go the source of our truth to find an answer. I had never been forced to do so in the past. Now, I see from Scripture how to address this question when asked by those not of our faith. Before you asked the question, I would have had a hard time answering the question if I were standing on a street corner. Thank you for helping me to better understand this important subject.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #224 on: June 13, 2013, 07:12:36 PM »
What is Sacrifice?

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.” Psalms 51:17

Christianity when understood correctly is offensive to our fallen human nature. To become a true Christian, one must give up pride and sacrifice the things of this world. It is too much for most. "For many are called, but few are chosen." Matthew 22:14. That is, few choose to accept Christ as ruler of their lives. The things of this world are deemed more valuable than the offer of eternal life with God.

Death to self is revealed in a sacrificial life. What does this mean? What happens when a sinner becomes a saint? What happens when one is truly converted? Does he have to give all he has to the poor? That is what Jesus told the rich young ruler to do.  "One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me." Mark 10:21. But, God does not ask that one sell all he owns. That is not the point. Sacrifice means different things to different people. If the rich young ruler were asked to sell half of what he owned, he would have probably been quite happy to do this and become a disciple. But, when Jesus told him to sell all, then it is seen that heaven was too expensive for this young man.

Sacrifice to another may mean giving up something very precious, or giving up a favorite coat so that another may stay warm. A sacrifice that pleases God is one that comes from the heart. If there is something too precious to give up for Jesus, then it is an idol. This can be anything. Adam refused to give up his wife. He took the forbidden fruit so that he would share the same fate as Eve. Yes, Adam gave up his life for Eve. Does that make him a Christian? "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing." 1 Corinthians 13:3. The love that Christs demands, is a love born of His Spirit. It only comes when self dies. We are carnal, evil by nature. "For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing." Romans 7:18. We must be born again to love as Jesus loves. If we have Jesus, we have His Spirit and all of the fruits of His Spirit, not one is missing. Love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance which is self-control. "If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of His." Romans 8:9.

We may be willing to die for our cause, or even profess to die for our God, as did the Muslims who murdered thousands when they flew into the Trade Towers, but if we have not the love of God, His love, then we do not have life. We may be willing to give much of our money to the poor, but if we are unwilling to give of our time to help others, then our time is an idol. We may be willing to die for someone we love, but if we are unwilling to spend time with Jesus, then we are not His.

Sacrifice means to pick up our cross and walk in the same bloodstained path as Jesus walked. "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit. He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour." John 12:24-26. A profession of faith is nothing with God, He wants the whole heart. No whited sepulchers in heaven. How much is too much? What is too great a sacrifice for Jesus? If there is something that is too great to give up for Jesus, then you do not know Him. The law of self-sacrifice is the law of self-preservation. The life given to God and to our fellow man, is a life that will be preserved for eternity.

What must we exchange for heaven? What do we give up, when we give all? A sin-polluted heart, for Jesus to purify, to cleanse by His own blood, and to save by His matchless love. And yet men think it hard to give up all! Such utter silliness, madness. God does not require us to give up anything that it is for our best interest to retain. In all that He does, He has the well-being of His children in view. Would that all who have not chosen Christ might realize that He has something vastly better to offer them than they are seeking for themselves. Man is doing the greatest injury and injustice to his own soul when he thinks and acts contrary to the will of God. No real joy can be found in the path forbidden by Him who knows what is best and who plans for the good of His creatures. The path of transgression is the path of misery and destruction.   

When we have spent time getting to know our God, then we are able to trust Him with all that we are and all that we have. When we behold His great love for us as He hung on the cross, then the heart is broken and nothing is too great a sacrifice for the One who gave all for us.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
Re: A Thought for Today
« Reply #225 on: June 24, 2013, 11:16:19 AM »
Who am I that a king would bleed and die for?  Precious Jesus will lead me, even unworthy me, and will bring me to the haven of rest at last, if I humbly follow where he leads. If Satan tempts you to believe you are unworthy, tell him he is right, but that you have a Saviour that died for you while you were a great sinner! Tell him that Christ came into the world to save sinners. We have nothing to recommend us to God; but the plea that we may urge now and ever is our utterly helpless condition that makes His redeeming power a necessity. Renouncing all self-dependence, we may look to the cross of Calvary and say,-- "In my hand no price I bring; Simply to Thy cross I cling."   

From our Heavenly Music Forum

wigina

« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2013, 02:15:39 AM »
amazing!
when scripture says we can can we?
satan has not yet caused fire to rain on us because we haven't attained the threshold...

Job 1:10-12,16,20-22: 10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land. 11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. 12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath [is] in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD. [...] 16 While he [was] yet speaking, there came also another, and said, The fire of God is fallen from heaven, and hath burned up the sheep, and the servants, and consumed them; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. [...] 20 Then Job arose, and rent his mantle, and shaved his head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped, 21 And said, Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. 22 In all this Job sinned not, nor charged God foolishly.

Glen

• Rescue the perishing, care for the dying...
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:18 AM »
...satan has not yet caused fire to rain on us because we haven't attained the threshold...

Would you mind saying this in different words so I can get a better idea what you are saying? Thanks!
...Jesus...will live through (YOU), giving (YOU) the inspiration of His sanctifying Spirit, imparting to (YOUR) soul a vital transfusion of Himself. Sabbath-School Worker 02-01-96.03  ...as the blood

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2013, 05:55:13 AM »
When SDA's are filled with the love that Father God implanted and imparted into the humanity of Jesus, due to their union with Father God & Christ & The Holy Ghost;  Satan will treat them worse than he did Job. 

God will give them all the honest and dishonest souls of Earth whosoever will come and freely partake of what God offers through the testifying of those SDA's, and the honest will be enlightened and filled and the willing repentant dishonest, made honest.
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

wigina

« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2013, 10:12:39 AM »
Glen, am thinking about deceptions. That Satan has already demonstrated that he is able to cause fire to rain down from heaven. Deceiving all that were there except Job. Its gonna be tough convincing humanity that the so called public healings are not real. It will take a special effort to convince the elect. Now that will be the final battle. We will know when we are there.

wigina

« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2013, 10:14:59 AM »
its amazing that Gid did not touch Job as requested but Satan took it upon himself to do evil and wonders.

Vicki

Re: A Thought for Today
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2013, 01:41:06 PM »
Who am I that a king would bleed and die for? 

Thank you, that's beautiful. Leave it to the younger generation to tell me to click the right corner for full screen - beautiful pictures to go with a wonderful song. Son said to tell you he is awestruck.  :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #232 on: July 19, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »

True Revival

"When He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth." John 16:13.

Many of the revivals which have occurred recently have given no evidence of the work of the Spirit of God. The light which flames up for a time, soon dies out, leaving the darkness more dense than before. Popular revivals are too often carried by appeals to the imagination, by exciting the emotions, by pandering to the love for what is new and startling. Converts thus gained have no more desire to listen to Bible truths, no more interest in the testimony of prophets and apostles, than has the reader of love stories. Unless a religious service has something of a sensational character, it has no attractions for them. A message which appeals to unimpassioned reason, awakens no response. The plain warnings of God's word, relating directly to their eternal interests, fall as upon the ears of the dead.

The converts are not renewed in heart or changed in character. They do not renounce their pride and love of the world. They are no more willing to deny self, to take up the cross, and follow the meek and lowly Jesus, than before their conversion. In a genuine revival, when the Spirit of God convicts the conscience, the earnest, anxious inquiry will be heard, "What must I do to be saved?" And this not merely for a day. With every truly converted soul the relation to God and to eternal things will be the great topic of life. But where do we see the deep conviction of sin? Where is the spirit of consecration to God? The spirit that controls the world rules in the church. Religion has become the sport of infidels and skeptics because so many who bear its name are ignorant of its principles. The power of godliness has well-nigh departed from the churches. Heart union with Christ is a rare thing now. The majority of church-members know no tie but that which joins them to an organized body of professed Christians. Love of pleasure and thirst for excitement are everywhere prevalent. Sports, movies and television, Facebook, expensive homes, personal display, have banished thoughts of God. Investments, politics, and worldly occupations engross the mind. Things of eternal interest are lost in the desire for the things of this world.

Those living for the things of this world may have their names upon the church books, they may have a high standing in society, but they have no connection with Jesus Christ. The apostle Paul describes a class who are "lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof." Concerning them he says, "From such turn away." 2 Timothy 3:4, 5. Be not deceived by them, do not be led astray.

Revival and reformation is coming to Christianity. God is leading His people into the truth, as it is in Jesus. False teachers abound, but where sin abounds, grace does much more abound. God has His teachers also. And, even without teachers, the Bible is today available more than ever before. Jesus promises that "when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth." John 16:13. He will do so through opening the mind to the truth that is in the Bible. We will not be left alone, but the third person of the godhead will be in our hearts, opening our minds to the truth that we need for each day. Rejoice, knowing that God will finish the work which He has begun in us! He delays His coming that none who want to be saved shall be lost. Today, is the day of salvation!

wigina

« Reply #233 on: July 19, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
Today is a day of salvation
let the Lord be praised.
As much as evil abounds, the Lord God pours out more of His grace. And we will know more about Jesus! And soon  the whole world will know toon then the last callvwill sound, ''come out of her my people'' and when they shall have come out... Then the marriage of the Lamb shall take place. The most magnificent ever! Are you ready?

wigina

« Reply #234 on: July 25, 2013, 06:47:38 PM »
Revelation 12:17: 17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.
Just asking myself?, are we ready for this??, it is pain full that many of us are not ready for this? let's give this verse a good thought today., God bless all as we enter the preparation day.

wigina

« Reply #235 on: July 26, 2013, 06:15:53 PM »
The practice of inviting men and women to relate in public the experience of their life of soon is full of danger to both speaker and hearer. To dwell upon scenes of evil is corrupting to both mind and soul. And the prominence given to the rescued ones is harm full to them. Many are led to feel that their sinful life gives them a certain distinction. Ministry of healing pg 178.
IHave seen some do this but have never known why I thought it wrong intuitively.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
Yes, dear brother. We need to hear of what God has done for sinners, not what sinners have done before conversion.  There is already enough evil influence in the world we witness. Let us behold Jesus and His character and be changed into His image from glory to glory!  The thought of such love will break our hearts. Who am I that such a King would bleed and die for me!!!

wigina

« Reply #237 on: August 01, 2013, 08:23:01 PM »
Ministry of healing pg 127.4&5
...often some form of vice is the cause of feebleness of mind or body! Should these people gain the blessing of health many of them would continue to pursue the same course of heedless transgression of God's natural and spiritual laws, reasoning that if God, heals them in answer to prayer, they are at liberty to continue their ktheir unhealthful practices and to indulge perverted appetite without restraint. If God were to work a miracle in restoring these persons to health, He would be encouraging sin.
It is labour lost to teach people to look to God as a healer of their infirmities, unless they are taught also to lady aside unhealthful practices. In order to receive His blessing in answer to prayer, they must cease to do evil and learn to do well. Their surroundings must be sanitary their habits of life correct.

Now this is strong. God's messenger has laid down the rules for healing by the power of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is a powerful message and an admonition to us to enter into the solemn act of praying for healing. we must do this with proper consideration lest we pray for nought.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #238 on: August 03, 2013, 01:16:07 PM »
In order to receive His blessing in answer to prayer, they must cease to do evil and learn to do well.
Amen, wigina. "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me." Psalms 66:18.  It is true that God pours out His blessings upon the good and the wicked, but that is not what was said here. We are looking at prayer. Many fail to understand this important Bible principle.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #239 on: August 03, 2013, 01:53:31 PM »
Revival and Reformation

"If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." 1 John 1:9 

There are sinners in Zion. They are not agonizing to enter in at the strait gate. God cannot endure the presence of sin. It is the thing that His soul hates. Even the angels that stood about His throne, whom He loved, but who kept not their first estate of loyalty, God cast out of heaven with their rebel leader. Holiness is the foundation of God's throne; sin is the opposite of holiness; sin crucified the Son of God. If men could see how hateful sin is, they would not tolerate it, nor educate themselves in it. They would reform in life and character. Secret faults would be overcome. If we are to be saints in heaven, we must first be saints upon the earth.

There is great need that we overcome secret faults. Our churches are weak. Selfishness, uncharitableness, covetousness, envy, evil-surmising, falsehood, theft, robbery, sensuality, licentiousness, and adultery, stand registered against some who claim to believe the solemn, sacred truth for this time. How can these accursed things be cleansed out of the camp, when men who claim to be Christians are practicing them constantly? They are somewhat careful of their ways before men, but they are an offense to God. His pure eyes see, a witness records, all their sins, both open and secret; and unless they repent and confess their sins before God, unless they fall on the Rock and are broken, their sins will remain charged against them in the books of record. Fearful histories will be opened to the world at the judgment--histories of sins never confessed, of sins not blotted out! Oh, that these poor souls might see that they are heaping up wrath against the day of wrath! Then the thoughts of the heart, as well as the actions, will be revealed. "Cease to do evil," but do not stop here; "learn to do well." We can glorify God only by bearing fruit to His glory.

Ministers, for Christ's sake, must begin the work for themselves. By unsanctified lives stumbling blocks are set before children and before unbelievers. Some ministers move by impulse, act from passion and prejudice, and bring impure, tainted offerings to God. For Christ's sake cleanse the camp by beginning, through the grace of Christ, the personal work of purifying the soul from moral defilement. A jovial minister in the pulpit, or one who is stretching beyond his measure to win praise, is a spectacle that
crucifies the Son of God afresh and puts Him to open shame. There must be thorough repentance, faith in our Saviour Jesus Christ, vigilant watchfulness, unceasing prayer, and diligent searching of the Scriptures. God holds us responsible for all that we might be if we would improve our talents. We shall be judged according to what we ought to have been, but were not; what we might have done, but did not accomplish because we did not use our powers to glorify God. For all knowledge that we might have gained but did not, there will be an eternal loss, even if we do not lose our souls. All our influence belongs to God. All that we acquire is to be used to His glory. All the property that the Lord has entrusted to us is to be held on the altar of God, to be returned to Him again. We are working out our own destiny. May God help us all to be wise for eternity.

We are living in a most solemn period of this earth's history. There is never a time to sin; it is always perilous to continue in transgression; but in a special sense is this true at the present time. We are now upon the very borders of the eternal world and stand in a more solemn relation to time and to eternity than ever before. Now let every person search his own heart, and plead for the bright beams of the Sun of Righteousness to expel all spiritual darkness and cleanse from defilement. "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Through faith, irrespective of feeling, Jesus, the Author of our salvation, the Finisher of our faith, will, by His precious grace, strengthen the moral powers, and the sinner may reckon himself "to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ." Simple faith, with the love of Christ in the soul, unites the believer to God. While toiling in battle as a faithful soldier of Christ, he has the sympathy of the whole loyal universe. The ministering angels are round about him to aid in the conflict, so that he may boldly say, "The Lord is my helper," "the Lord is my strength and my shield;" I shall not be overcome. "By grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God."

The infinite wisdom and power of God are exerted in our behalf. The heavenly host are surely fighting our battles for us. They are always looking with intense interest upon the souls purchased by the Saviour's blood. They see, through the sacrifice of Christ, the value of the human soul. It is always safe to be on the Lord's side, not halfheartedly, but wholly. It is this halfhearted, indifferent, careless work that separates the soul from Jesus, the source of our strength. Let this be our prayer: "Take everything from me, let me lose property, worldly honor, everything, but let Thy presence be with me." It is safe to commit the keeping of the soul to God, who reigns over all heaven and earth.