Author Topic: File Types  (Read 1958 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
File Types
« on: January 12, 2010, 02:31:39 PM »
Jim: I have some .cda audio files that should play in Windows Media. Under Q&A, there is a section in Windows Help with associating file types - and under .CDA Windows Media is an option (that showing in Control Panel under File Folders.) I checked it and tried once more. No workie - any suggestions? I have looked for a .cda player and the only thing I found was a requirement to play directly from a CD, not from a drive on the computer.

A friend gave me an external storage drive that measures spaces in tetrabytes or something like that ... huge space, evidently, and in it she placed some audio files I wanted. So, I cannot convert them nor play them yet because they have not been burned to CD.

Is there a solution short of burning everything to a CD? It appears my stash of blank CDs have grown legs and are missing. Any help you can give would be appreciated.

She also threw in some VOB formatted DVDs. They will play on some obscure player that happens to be loaded on my computer, so they work just fine.

Blessings this new year, dear man, and thank you so much for all the computer help you give us all of the time. Don't know how well we would be functioning without you.

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

JimB

• Servant
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
Re: File Types
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 05:35:09 PM »
Wow... good question. I have never tried to work directly with a cda file. However I did find this and in looking for this I have learned something new. I've always thought that the cda files were the music files but they are not. Take a look at this explanation from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0067.mspx

Note that the actual music tracks on a CD are usually WAV files that you can't see; the CDA files on a CD act as a table of contents for software that "point" to these hidden music tracks. If the Player is registered to open CDA files, but you still can't play the CD, the CD may not have been created using CD-burning software (that is, the CDA files, but not the music files, were copied to the CD).

It would appear that your friend thought she was copying an audio cd for you but it only caught the cda and not the WAV files associated with each cda file. Does that make sense?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 05:41:43 PM »
Yes, it does make sense and that is probably what happened.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:01:21 PM »
Hummm ... I also found this:

CD Audio (.cda) tracks are audio files that can be stored on CD media. The .cda files are representations of CD audio tracks and do not contain the actual pulse code modulation (PCM) information. Cda files can be played only from a CD-ROM. To test a .cda file, either try to play a different .cda file from your CD-ROM or try to play a .cda file from a different CD-ROM. Copied from the CD-ROM to the hard disc it cannot be played. This is format used for encoding music on all commercial compact discs. If you buy a CD from a store, the music on that CD is stored in CDA format.

The current standard for CD audio requires a sampling rate of 44.1 kHz and a sample size of 16 bits (2 bytes per sample). As a result, you need to store 2 x 44,100= 88,200 bytes of data every second to record in mono. Recording in stereo would require twice that much storage. That extrapolates to about 10 MB of data for every minute of stereo sound! It is for this reason that compression schemes such as MP3 are so important.

Then, this website offers a converter, but the actual CDs must be in its drive to convert it and I don't have those, so this most precious gift from my friend cannot be used.  :(  But we did learn a little something about CDAs. They are crucial, but not very useful to the novice who has them sitting in her new storage unit!  :'(

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:05:35 PM »
Just for fun you might try changing the file extension from .cda to .wav and see if it will play that way.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:22:17 PM »
... I did because one of the suggestions was to change of extension. It did not like it.