Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108347 times)

Vicki

Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #160 on: June 17, 2013, 11:31:01 AM »

We live in a high wind area. This year we have discovered that tomato cages wrapped in plastic are good protection against wind damage, grasshoppers, and give added heat on chilly nights. This plant was one of several of those little 6-pack plants, but now it is the same size as the taller tomato plants purchased in larger buckets which didn't have this protection. The other 6-pack plants that weren't protected which survived are only 1/3 this size. All the tomatoes were planted at the same time.

I think our wind is finally over so it's time to remove the plastic so they can be properly pollinated.

Some cautions:
  • If you try covered cages next season, be sure to wrap them firmly and tuck the end of the plastic under the top of the cage or the wind will unwrap them quickly.
  • The plants can bake in the heat of the day so leave an open top and make sure they don't get too hot if the temperature soars. I have heard that you can place a board over the top of the cage to trap the heat at night but be sure to remove it when it warms up. We didn't need to try that.
  • When watering, if the water doesn't seep under the plastic, make sure you water inside the cage.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #161 on: June 17, 2013, 03:06:22 PM »
That seems to be a great solution!. Wind is not something that I'd normally worry about but I've had to deal with it the last week or so. We've two strong thunderstorms move through the area and both times pushed a good portion of my tomatoes, corn, and sunflowers. They were not completely blown over or damaged beyond repair but it's something I didn't anticipate.

Speaking of tomatoes though. My brother put a garden in this year and he's been wanting to eat his tomatoes but he says it seems that the little house wrens that nest near him seem to find the ripe ones every time. Any thoughts on protecting tomatoes from these tomato loving birds?
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #162 on: June 17, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
I've never had to deal with that. Maybe try bird netting like is used for fruit trees. He might have to put a small structure around the plants. Last year Glen put a few metal fence posts on either side of the pear trees to keep the netting from getting tangled in the limbs. There was enough space at the bottom for a person to get inside. It worked nicely. All he needs, though, is space to lift and reach under without branches getting tangled in netting.

We've had to struggle keeping the corn upright this year, but haven't lost any from wind yet. I can't say the same for an apple tree. We had a huge dust devil blow through, snap off a 5 year old tree at the graft, lift it 15' in the air and drop it about 100' away on top of the garden fence. It turned a nice somersault in the process. I hope I never see that again! It was well-laden with fruit this year, too.  :(

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #163 on: July 16, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
Thanks to Dorine, I am growing heirloom tomatoes again. This time, I have lots of blossoms!!  Not sure why, but I think when I was concerned this year, I stopped watering for a few extra days. They say that this stress can cause blooms.  And, the deer are getting fat on my grapes, they have eaten them all, ate my cherry trees, but they cannot get my tomatoes.  I pulled part of my fence and used the material to just enclose my tomatoes!!  So far, the only thing in the garden area they have eaten is a squash plant and the grapes.

I installed a game camera and I caught them red handed entering in through my driveway. On the way to the garden, they eat my roses and nibble on my citrus trees. And, my row of photinia which lines the front yard is nibbled down where there is no fence. My wife said they need to eat also!  I reminded her one day soon, that if they eat, then we won't.   Will have figured  it out by then!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #164 on: July 17, 2013, 05:19:28 AM »
Those rascals!  :(
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

colporteur

« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2013, 07:23:07 AM »
In most climates if the cages are tall enough the tomatoes will climb to 12-15 feet tall if you poke them back in the cage every couple of days as they tend to grow outward seeking light. I have 8 ft. tall cages made of stainless steel deer fence and stack them two high when living in a climate that will send the tomatoes up that high. North central Michigan is the only place so far that would not grow tomatoes like that. You need to drive steel fence posts (at least 2- 6-8 footers) around the cage  and tie the wire to the post with twine string. If you go higher than 8 ft. you will also need posts (at least three in  a large triangle preferable 4 in a large square pattern)  pounded in out at a distance or the cages under wind and rain will take even the heavy steel fence posts and all right over.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #166 on: July 21, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »
I found 3 of these monster worms devouring the top of my tomato plant this morning. They are now in the bellies of some guineas.

Question: where do these creatures come from? They are larger than my fingers and I have large hands.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »
I have since discovered they are horn worms. I think Vicki or someone else discussed them. What destructive pests. This will necessitate a close examination of the plants twice a day. These came on rather quickly. 

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2013, 04:05:33 PM »
They are not as bad as deer. Instead of devouring your tomatoes in one night, they take two nights!! 

There is a method to finding the critters. You look for their black droppings. When you find them, look directly up. They blend in with the plants so much that they are hard to see.  I practice prevention also. I think it is a white moth or butterfly that lays the eggs. I am not so gracious as I am with the deer. When I see them in the garden, I go after them with the hose. Generally I can knock them down with the water, then drown them.  :)   It is either them or the tomatoes!!  I choose life for the tomatoes. Those pesky vegans just have to go.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2013, 07:01:02 PM »
Googling YouTube, it is also said a black light will illuminate them so they are easily seen. The droppings are the same color as the soil, so that won't work. They appear to have been on only one plant but I will keep an eye out.

Bottom line: we have not come thus far to have the fruit of our labor devoured by such an ugly creature. One of the YouTube videos also suggested getting organic BT for spray and for the soil because they burrow and morph into the large moth. That is also where they lay their eggs.

Now, the wasp will lay its eggs on these worms and the larvae literally consumes them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcBgBKv8818

"Nature" isn't so nice, is it? 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #171 on: July 21, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »
some of the droppings end up on the ground, but often I find them on the leaves and stems. I have  found that is the easiest way to find them. They are so well disguised. :(

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #172 on: July 21, 2013, 09:33:40 PM »
I'll keep a lookout. Thanks!

Mark W

« Reply #173 on: July 22, 2013, 03:56:01 PM »
This thread says tomatoes, so here is a pic of today's pickens. Did I mention I love maters? God has been good

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #174 on: July 22, 2013, 04:33:42 PM »
Wow! Beautiful, Mark!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »
Wow!!  Mind if we stop by?  :)   I have yet to pick  a real one yet.  Only a few cherry tomatoes. But, soon!! Not as many as you have and not the variety. I notice a lot of canning jars, Mark. Are you going to can a lot of the tomatoes? From someone who has yet to eat one of those good ones, it would be sad to see them canned!!  :(  Are some of them canning tomatoes?

Mark W

« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »
Richard, those jars are filled with green beans. Got them canned and just haven't found time to put them in the cellar.  I haven't canned any tomatoes yet and sorry to hear you are waiting for your first big ones. Maybe I shouldn't say that I have been picking since the 8th day of June. I have been saving seed out of the first ones that pollinated so as to have plenty of seed. Then I will start canning for I have a few hundred jars washed and waiting to be utilized.  Been saving so many seeds that I actually been eating tomatoes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for some are quite tasty and we would not want the leftovers wasted ;D I do give tomatoes away at church and use them like a ministry, for I share them with the neighbors too.

Will share seeds from the real tasty ones with all on here that would be interested this fall. For God created them for us all to enjoy. And as well He has been sending some very timely rain, so figured what He has blessed me with, should be shared so others can be blessed. Have a real lovely purple tomato that is just an exquisite example of what a tomato should be. Just a fine hunk of melt in your mouth tomato flesh. I best not post a pic of it for you might start drooling on your keyboard Richard ;D

Every morning I go out to my garden and look around and can't help but be amazed at how great God is. Seems like when we do our part, we can just step back and watch Him do His. God bless all your gardening efforts. Mark

Mark W

« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2013, 05:59:38 AM »
Well Richard said he could handle a few pics of a few ripe tomatoes, so I will post a few for all to enjoy. Richard said to me, a picture is worth a thousand words and I imagine that is true. I know it is true when you go ant sale plants and seeds. Hope you enjoy.

This first one is the purple one I mentioned earlier.  For my taste buds, they don't get much better then this. Great sweet/acid balance in a melt in your mouth, deep dark tomato package. 

Another fine looking tomato specimen is this lovely bicolor. Again a great taste in a different package with lots of eye appeal. This one tipped the scale at over a pound and a half.

One more to feast your eyes on is a GWR  (green when ripe) variety. Actually this is a bicolor as well, but yet still packs more great taste with lots of eye appeal, and lots of juice to dribble down your chin Richard  ;D

Hope you enjoy the pics, for I can say I definitely enjoyed eating them. You look at all the colors, shapes and tastes there are in just tomatoes, and it makes me wonder what the creative possibilities will be when we reach the earth made new.  Richard I will have to invite you over when that time comes and we will be able to create a few new ones together.  Mark

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2013, 06:22:07 AM »
Wow! Wonderful!

Dorine

« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2013, 07:00:19 AM »
Mark do you mail seed to Nova Scotia Canada? I would love to have seeds from the tomatoes you have posted. What are their names? Our planting season is short compared to yours. Mine are just developing. The largest is about the size of a golf ball. I plant a beefstake called Cherokee Purple that has a wonderful flavour. I'm always looking for new ones to try. I look for short season and great taste.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14