Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108346 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »
I try and root all kinds of plants, why not tomatoes!!  Thanks for the idea!!  I am not sure my wife is going to go along with the program, but I will try. She likes home grown tomatoes!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2011, 02:50:01 PM »
Richard;

I saved some tomato seeds for the first time two seasons ago. I did not know the seeds have a protective covering that needs tom be rotted off, more or less. Can one put the seeds in canned tomato juice. Will the coating ferment and fall off or does it take fresh juice ? It sounds like the acid should take off the coating whether fresh or not. What do you know about that ?
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2011, 09:50:12 PM »
Here is the discussion on that subject.  http://remnant-online.com/smf/index.php?topic=9458.0

I suggested using pulp from another tomato. Place in a quart jar with a little water to aid the process. Two or three days ought to do it. Then, just fill your jar up with water and the good seeds will sink and the rest will float to the top. Pour off the mess and rinse as many times as is needed to clean the seeds. Dry and store.  I initially tried to strain the mixture and then clean the seeds by hand. :(  It is very easy and quick by just filling the jar with water and pouring off the mess.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2011, 04:09:54 AM »
This past week I sliced a tomato I bought from the store (not organic) and found it full of sprouting seeds. Out of curiosity I took a thick slice and put it in a peat pot, covered it with soil and now there are several tomato plants growing. Has anyone had any experience with this? Am I wasting my time and garden space? :-\
Thanks for the instruction on seed saving. This year I'm going to try it. Last year the blight hit and I didn't have enough time in the growing season to let them ripen on the vine.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2011, 05:28:08 AM »
I have experienced that, Dorine. It was a shocking surprise. Mine got tossed.
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Vicki

« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »
Am I wasting my time and garden space? :-\

I'm new at seed saving and have discovered it would save a lot of time & effort to read a book about it! Last fall I discovered my tomato varieties were planted to close together so I didn't save any of the seed. Since you already have sprouts, I'd save a few for experimental purposes - if you have a large garden.

If different varieties of tomatoes are planted together the seeds inside each tomato will not produce true to the plant you got them from; they will cross pollinate and you could end up with a disaster in the next generation of plants. At least from what I have read and heard. If you do have a large garden, plant your experiments a good distance (I don't know what that would be) from other tomatoes if you plan to keep seeds.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2011, 08:11:15 AM »
This truth about the cross pollination of plants is important.   Natural seeds are being lost at a rapid rate due to cross pollination with hybrid seed. Hybrid seed does not reproduce the same plant from seed. When the natural seeds are lost, then the seed companies are in the driver's seat.  And, when commercial growers are using a few basic varieties that are hybrid, there is a great risk that a disease will take out a large portion of the whole crop.

One of the solutions coming from scientists is genetic modification including such things as round-up ready foods and plants modified with animal genes.

Dorine

« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2011, 09:09:48 AM »
Thank you. I think I'll toss the ones from the store that are growing. It only makes sense seeing all my seeds that I plant are organic and I do want to keep it that way. Curiosity killed the cat so I guess in this instance I best let curiosity die.  

Now that you mention about cross pollination I realize that I have a problem. I grow 3 different kinds of tomatoes each year (Quebec 5, cosmonaut Volkov and Cherokee Purple) and I always plant them together but rotate them to a new area of the garden each year. My garden isn't big enough (400 sq. feet)to keep them apart from each other. I've got to think this one through better if I want to save seeds for next year.

I wonder if I planted peas or corn between the different varieties of tomatoes to separate them if that would work. Any thoughts on that?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2011, 09:44:28 AM »
It can help. It depends on how careful you want to be.   Select tomatoes that bloom at different times. Plant one variety earlier than another. Or just plant one variety each year. Or you can bag the blossoms since tomatoes pollinate themselves. By planting other plants in between, you will entice the bees and other insects to go there, but there are some bees that will spot your heirloom past the corn and think that the pollen is sweeter on the other side of the corn. :( 

I remember that seed growers would find a location where they are miles from other crops that might cross pollinate.

We can only do the best we can and then leave the rest to God.  It would be a good idea to carefully label seed and plants so that you know what seed you are dealing with and the results.  Always keep seed from multiple tomatoes to insure that when one is cross pollinated you have others that are not. Of course you want to plant seed from more than one tomato since you won't know until the tomatoes are produced. 

It is a good time to learn about such things so when we need the food, we won't be surprised by a total crop failure.

JimB

• Servant
  • Assistant Administrator
  • Pro 12:28 in the pathway thereof there is no death
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2011, 06:44:14 PM »
All this time and effort spent on tomatoes???  I think I could find a much better fruit to put my time and resources in!! :)   Such as.... a watermelon :) You just keep eating those tomatoes and leave the cantaloupe and watermelon for me :)  Now... I must admit that I do eat tomatoes.... on my salad only because I know they are good for me and I can hide the taste in a good salad. 
By communion with God in nature, the mind is uplifted, and the heart finds rest.  {DA 291.1}

Vicki

« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2011, 08:47:35 PM »
 :D

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 03, 2011, 02:48:05 PM »
For those with soil diseases that damage or kill your tomatoes, try grafting tame tomatoes onto disease resistant wilder tomato root stock,  or graft several varities onto one plant for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHnOYcI6B44

Even try grafting eggplant  & peppers onto a hardy tomato plant either for fun or soil disease resistance -  all in nightshade family,  will graft to each other.  If doing just a few plants for fun, use cleaned flower pots & potting mix, pencils & saran wrap for a humidity tent, put in semi shade / sun in the house and sit pot in saucer and bottom water.

Just be sure it's not caribbean red habaneros or ghost chilis you graft with .    ;D     hot hot hot.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/Assets/Information/TomatoGrafting.pdf

http://l.wbx.me/l/?p=1&instId=d15b87ae-81c8-4662-9d44-c2212d44df16&token=5e3e38bd220ef2ce5d9200407a5aa887a2cc04f20000012f19690f70&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgrowingideas.johnnyseeds.com%2F2011%2F04%2Ftomato-grafting-worthwhile-pursuit.html

Try grafting organic heirlooms onto disease resistant root stock & use the red reflective film as a weed barrier mulch - say for a 10 to 12 foot long row, sell the biggest prettiest tomatoes as investment project.   ;D
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
I have planted 24 green heirloom tomato plants from organic seeds using paper egg crates and Miracle Grow potting soil. My aim is not to lose them to either the wind or freezing temperatures. Last year I had them in a hot house with regular tomato plants then read about cross pollination. It did not enter my mind to avoid that! I am not a vegetable gardener but am trying!

At present, they are sitting under a long, industrial-type fluorescent light. Until I can set up grow lights, these will have to do. It will be quite a while before they can go outside.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2011, 06:40:02 PM »
Ready to plant.

I think.....Betsy and Bambi are waiting.....

Sister Dee

« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2011, 07:10:50 PM »
And, Brother Richard, have you a new plan for dealing with the dear deer this year?   ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »
Dogs, cat, alarm, and prayer plus I am going to build a cage around the tomatoes!  They ate my tulips and roses, but they won't get the tomatoes.  Maybe a sleeping bag next to the tomatoes.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2011, 08:36:16 PM »
Richard - did you grow those from seed? They are mighty pretty!  ;)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2011, 09:33:08 AM »
Yes, they are my babies that I kept by my bed on my nightstand. It is in a south facing window. :)     

They are going in raised beds as soon as I get the jail cells ready. It is for their own protection. :)

Sister Dee

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2011, 09:42:17 AM »
I pray that you are both blessed with a successful tomato crop this year!   :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2011, 12:03:55 PM »
Thank you!!  Now, we need to get a homegrown tomato to Brother Jim who must have never had one!  He says that he eats tomatoes because they are good for him, but I question that. It is hard to believe a store bought tomato is good for anyone!  :)   On the other hand a BLT (Big, lettuce and tomato) sandwich is indeed not only delicious, but good for us!

You can buy a good watermelon in the store, but you cannot buy a good tomato. And, thus the reason so many of us try to grow tomatoes!!  And, if Brother Jim wants proof of how good they are, I will send him some photos of the herds of deer that love them. I have never ever found a deer that does not go for the tomatoes first!!  And they do not stop with the fruit, they eat the whole plant!!! Every one of them ! See the topic on Deer Aren't They Sweet   :(