Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108331 times)

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
Tomatoes
« on: January 05, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »
Everybody likes home grown tomatoes. No fish genes, and even if the commercial tomatoes in the store were not genetically modified, have you ever had one that tasted like a home grown tomato?

Now is the time to start thinking about starting your seed indoors. Don't have room? How much room do a few styrofoam cups take up? And you really don't need sun. You don't want leggy plants, you want the roots to develop. You need warmth, not sun. Of course you need to time things according to where you live. Wally must wait another three months before starting his. :( 

I like to get a few plants in the ground as soon as it MAY be ok.  This means that there is still a risk that I will lose them to a freeze. It is ok. I have plenty more coming. If it does not freeze  :)  happy days! I will have early tomatoes. If it freezes, so what. I did not pay a lot for nursery grown plants.  If you do not have a lot more coming, then you better wait until it is safe.

And, there are early varieties that you may want to plant even though they may not be your favorites. Cherry tomatoes do well early also.

A suggestion:  if you have room, take a plastic tray, I save the trays my pineapple  comes in, and put your styrofoam cups in it. You want drainage so place holes in the cups. The tray will collect the drain water. Or, if you have your little plastic trays from last years nursery purchase, plant in them and find a tray to set them in to collect the drain water. The dollar store had aluminum cooking pans that will work for this. :)  So, free styrofoam cups from the picnics at the park, seeds, and a tray is all you need to begin soon!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »
Great ideas, Richard. I got mine started in the little cups ready to plant once the freeze dates are past. They are coming up! These are the Wine variety from California. Thanks for the seeds, Richard! Only four have yet to come forth from the soil, but they will! 

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:06 AM »
Here are the last seedlings I started. Good thing they were not in the ground when the hail hit. I lost some, but most are ok.

Yes, that is hail in the cups!  :(   It did not stay there long!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »
Yours are doing very well! It is such a joy to see something we grow from seeds! During the warm days, I sit the tray out on the porch roof and they receive great southern exposure until sunset and then they come in. I do hope they continue to thrive!

LindaRS

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:03:57 AM »
We had to buy our plants but a lot of heirloom varieties are being offered now so we have only a few plants but several varieties. They survived the torrential rains and are doing well.
O Lord, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps. O Lord, correct me, but with judgment; not in thine anger, lest thou bring me to nothing. Jeremiah  10:23-24

colporteur

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:40:21 AM »
If your garden is not too far away from electricity you can rig up a couple of plastic garbage cans or like containers, put a small hole in the center of the bottom, big enough to get the end of the cord through, flip them over and hang a 100 watt light bulb. A clothes pin will allow for adjustment on how far to drop the light bulb. When it is very cloudy or very cold just turn on the light. An old thermometer resting on a can next to the plant will tell you just how warm it is. Obviously if to err  is better to err on the side of being a little too cool. Since we have a 60 degree margin to work with this isn't too difficult. When the weather is good or in the daytime just move the garbage can out of the way to where it will not shadow the plant.
    Last year I did this with cherry tomatoes putting three tomatoes in a container 24" in diameter. When the plants grew to a foot tall I put 24" wire mesh cages 7 feet tall over the plants and then pounded 6 ft steel posts on each side of the cage so they would not tip over tying the cage to the posts. We had more than enough cherry tomatoes to last the entire summer from one little 24" area. Every other day I would poke the main stems back inside the the wire so they keep going up. Water almost daily and we had an abundent crop. In warmer states the plants grew to 13 feet tall and required 4 steel posts and twine string guide lines at the top of the cages to keep the whole thing from toppling over. I ran the lines out to steel posts postioned 15 feet away or to building or tree. I put 30" diameter cages with 4'' squares on top of cages to reach the desired height and then wove 6ft long 1"x 3" pine stakes to hook the upper cages to the more secure lower cages so they didn't kink in the middle and collapse when the wind and rain persued. We were able to harvest tomatoes while standing on the top of a 6 ft step ladder. Maybe I can submit a picture sometime if I can get my other half to figure out how.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 08:11:22 AM »
Use photobucket.com or email me the pics and I will post them for you.  You can upload your pics to photobucket for free an then link to them from here.  There is a discussion in the Test Forum on how to do it.

Immanuel

• Senior Moderator
  • Jesus is My Judge
    • Emmanuel Institute of Evangelism
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:19 AM »
We have our seeds started in little cups. Great money saver. The only thing that I don't grow from seed is tomatoes because there is a local greenhouse that grows non-GMO tomatoes and I can get them for 20 cents/plant! More expensive than seed, but I grow about 25 plants for my garden and the Institute garden and it only costs $5. That is a lot of tomatoes for $5!

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:02:27 AM »
Wow! You are indeed blest!

colporteur

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:26:10 PM »
I have most of my plants planted in the garden now. It is too early but they were getting too big so I decided to risk it and cover them. They are talking upper 20s and and inch of snow Sunday so I may lose them. I planted a second set of seedlings indoors so if I lose the first I have back up. My summer squash have squash on them the size of your thumb. That's very advanced considering the last frost date here is still over a month away. I will be doing alot of covering the next 3-4 nights. My potted cherry tomatoes I can bring inside with a little help so they are safe. My experience is teaching me that starting the seedlings about 6 weeks in advance of transplanting them is ideal. If they get too big before transplanting them I losse rather than gain time do to the stress on the plant.

Our Praying Mantis hatched and were all over the counter today. I put them outside but wonder if they will survive the cold.

colporteur

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »

colporteur

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:58:09 PM »

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »
Oh my, Colporteur!!!!! Wow wee! Unbelievable photos! 

:'(

The wind blew my precious tomato plants off of their sunny spot on the porch. I returned home to them scattered on the ground. I could only save one of them so the only alternative was to replant and begin again. Oh, how sad to have lost them!

colporteur

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 05:56:43 PM »
Too bad to loose your babies. Like you say, they are replaceable. Tonight I set inside my potted broccoli plant. It is in a 7 gallon container. My wife said I love my plants more than her. With that I bent over and kissed my broccoli. She is doing so well (my broccoli) LOL ! The children found that amusing.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 11:30:58 AM »
What is your secret to such a healthy tomato plant? Have never seen one that tall!

colporteur

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
What is your secret to such a healthy tomato plant? Have never seen one that tall!

The greatest single factor (in growing tall plants) when all other aspects are reasonable is proper caging. The plant may have perfect soil, be insect free, and have the right amount of water and sunlight but if it is not caged and trained properly it will grow up to a certain point and then break down. Store bought cages are worthless. I received a book yesterday from a friend. It is entitled "How to grow world record tomatoes" by Charles H. Wilber. I see from the book that I have the right caging but need slightly large cages in diameter The author has the guiness world record cherry tomatoe plant 28' 7"  tall. Cherry tomatoe plants tend to grow the tallest. This man has cages 36" in diameter. He has had okra over 17 feet tall and has grown the slow growing pecan tree from seed to 6 ft tall in one year. He grew in one season a permission from seed that towered His corn has been 15 feet tall  His tomatoes produce over 300 lbs. of tomatoes per plant. That's more than 120 quarts of canned tomatoes from one plant. I have never pruned my plants but to have really big yields.6 bu. of tomatoes per plant, it is necessary. He is all organic and uses compost almost exclusively. He also plants peas or beans 6-8 feet away from the tomatoes which gives the tomatoes a nitorgen boost witht he best form of nitrogen. There is zero amount of cultivation around the plants as it damages roots. Mulching holds moisture, saves the roots, and controls weeds. Imagine all the tomatoes you can eat and care to can from one tomatoe plant,  which eccentially takes up an area 3' X 3' in diameter. Now that's intensive gardening !

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 08:43:34 AM »
Either there is a conspiracy to keep me from having tomatoes or I am utterly ignorant and presumptive in methodology. What is happening this year has never happened!

The little seeds were replanted after the first disaster and I kept them inside until the days were warmer and the spring winds settled down. After a day or two in the warm sun, they dried up and died, even while moist. So, I planted again and I placed them in a spot that has only a few hours of direct sun. What happened? The winds came. Even the begonias were destroyed. I guess a hot house is the only answer but I cannot afford one until September!  :(

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 10:02:17 AM »
It's global warming, dear sister. I keep thinking we need to pray for warmer weather. I have not seen a spring like this. My Bougainvillea is losing all of its leaves. I kept them inside all winter and put them out a week ago. Temps have been hovering around 40 and I guess one night it must have dropped below 40. Black leaves. :(

Tomatoes will suffer if the temps drop below 40.  Too much water can kill them more than too little. They need to dry out before watering again. The way things are going no one without a green house is going to have tomatoes before the middle of July. :(    Unless you live in the south. :) 

I have not planted my tomatoes in the garden yet. I am still training Betsy to not come into our yard.  It will be a fearful thing to put my tomatoes out. Not really. I just will have to babysit them a couple of nights. But, then she does not visit every night. Only now and then.

In heaven there will be no deer to eat our tomatoes. I am  not sure what they will eat. Maybe just the green grass?

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »
Yes, probably grass. A friend down the road has two beautiful tomato plants inside a glassed-in room that serves as a hot house. They are probably 10 inches high. Here I have some of the best tomato seeds in the world and they keep getting destroyed. I may glass in one of my upstairs porches. It has southern exposure. That's an idea mulling around in my mind as I write this. Gotta have a solution to this because I am determined to have them, come what may!

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2010, 12:11:31 PM »
You ought to be able to get old sliding glass doors for little or no cost to use. I have used old doors and windows that have been replaced. Call a local glass shop and ask them if they have old glass removed from one of their jobs. Even if you built a little green house attached to the south side of the house. Small, very small. That way you will get it done. :) You will need to vent the area on sunny days or you will cook your plants. :)  We built a cold frame out of a shower door and a couple of 2x6s.