Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108614 times)

Dorine

Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »
Ok you tomato experts out there.....I've got a problem with some of my tomato plants. This year I have the healthest soil I've ever had and some of my tomato plants in the garden are NOT happy. When I first planted them about 3 weeks ago they looked like those in Marks picture. Now the Paul Robeson, Bloody Butchers, and Cosmonaut Volkov's are stunted and the leaves are curling up and the leaves are small. I've searched for insects but don't see any but there are tiny holes in the leaves. The same tomatoes in the greenhouse are beautiful, healthy and growing like weeds.

The only difference I can think of is that the moisture is controlled in the greenhouse while outside they are cooked one day and flooded another by torrential rains not by me. :) But why wouldn't those in the garden all look the same. The rest of the garden tomatoes are growing nicely, healthy and happy looking. There's no sign of blight. Any suggestions?
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

colporteur

« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
Ok you tomato experts out there.....I've got a problem with some of my tomato plants. This year I have the healthest soil I've ever had and some of my tomato plants in the garden are NOT happy. When I first planted them about 3 weeks ago they looked like those in Marks picture. Now the Paul Robeson, Bloody Butchers, and Cosmonaut Volkov's are stunted and the leaves are curling up and the leaves are small. I've searched for insects but don't see any but there are tiny holes in the leaves. The same tomatoes in the greenhouse are beautiful, healthy and growing like weeds.

The only difference I can think of is that the moisture is controlled in the greenhouse while outside they are cooked one day and flooded another by torrential rains not by me. :) But why wouldn't those in the garden all look the same. The rest of the garden tomatoes are growing nicely, healthy and happy looking. There's no sign of blight. Any suggestions?

All of this excessive rain in many parts of the country is not so good for tomatoes. There are many types of blight and given these end times the problem is unprecedented. Some tomatoes are tougher than others and it is high stress for them  to be baked, boiled, wind whipped and drowned on a daily basis. Several of mine are broken off by the wind and we have plague like tiny grasshoppers. I am seeing reaction from some of my tomato plants that I have never seen before. While they are doing well considering all the weather ,blight, and insect issues it needs to stop raining for a while. We are having flooding hear that has closed a number of roads with water running over them.

Has anyone done any spraying around you by air or land ? It only takes a whiff of some sprays to effect tomatoes and their reaction is leaf curl and a deformed leaf.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Ed Sutton

• Ed Sutton Blogger Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 22, 2014, 01:59:53 AM »
Heat, cold, dirt, water, intensity of sunlight, wind stress above beneficial, preferred earliness vs mid summer late summer growing season, macro-micro nutrients / prefered bacterial soil flora, drainage-aeration of soil, lots of earthworms vs few, roots too hot or water logged , elevation of garden above sea level or too low,  all this and more makes for good tomato growing season or a poor one for each variety.

Other folks had problems with some of those same varieties too.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg1223341331531.html

Just as an experiment take 10-12 inch long suckers off of your vigorous heavy bearing tomatoes, root them, cut off their tops at an angle and make a small shallow "T" shaped slit in the trunk of the a few of sickly varieties, plant the graft out from the plant to be grafted into, bend the stalk over without breaking it, and graft into the weaker plant, wrap with soft twine or knitting yarn enough to cover the graft site and hold the graft unmoving till it takes.

Graft some small suckers off the weak varieties onto the strong varieties.

use an exacto knife from a craft store - use a butane cigarette lighter / or a charcoal lighter with a trigger and long snout, or a cup of rubbing alcohol to stick the blade in between cuts - to sanitize - between cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=grafting+tomato+plants

Got nothing to loose .   :)

Don't hoe tomatoes it cuts the feeder roots between the rows which are the plant's major feeders.  Mulch them 6-8 inches deep, any shallower can't keep root temps moderated in summer heat.  10-20 % shade cloth on some varieties would help - ( cooler temp earlier varieties already suffering in the heat)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHetN7UIdBk

look at feed stores for a sulfur magnesium phosphate fertilizer - as low on nitrogen as possible ( do they have sulpho mag or something like it )

If not look for ground up coal klinkers & epsom salts, woods dirt, and kudzu leaves, earth worms, pine needles for a thick mulch.  I assume you have plenty of good clay in the soil already. 

Buy cheap wooden matches in bulk, and dump a cup full in a bucket of water, let sit for a day, stir up, pour off the water in a watering can, try around a few healthy, a few mediocre, a few sickly plants, a few hrs later mix up 1 tea spoon of epsom salts in 1 gallon of water and watering can the roots of those same test plants, dig up lots of earthworms drizzle around the plants, then chop up kudzu leaves and liquify in an old blender now purposed only for the garden after this, pour on the ground around the plants, then mulch them with the pine needles thickly.    Then wait and write down results.    Tinker .   adjust .   

Dig up woods dirt from deep shade, keep out of the sun 100%, UV destroys the miconozzorial  flora,  at nearly sunset mix with well water or distilled water or rain water ( put a barrel under a gutter on the house or barn or shed to collect it cheap) , move the mulch back, water with woods dirt water around the plant and covering between the rows, put the mulch back thickly.

If you can't get pile needles use leaves from the woods, hay, rotted sawdust 3+ yrs old, chipper truck ground up stuff, etc,  or a mixture .   

Mulch 8 + inches deep and let it sit on top of the soil and stay there.

Jacob Mittleider developed a system of observing plant growth and symptoms as to what nutrient to supply or was out of balance locking up uptake for those varieties, in these links there may be answers to macro and micro nutrients and  things that help.  Your green house plants may be getting balanced feed for those varieties while the garden ones suffer.

In these links look for fertilizer formulas fertilizer recipes, mentions of small curling leaves etc .

http://growfood.com/

http://growfood.com/meet-dr-mittledier/

http://peaceofpreparedness.com/Resource%20Library/Gardening/Growing%20Tomatoes.pdf

https://sites.google.com/site/myfarmingsecrets/mittleider-method
Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

« Reply #243 on: June 22, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
garden journal pdf   

https://growfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GardenJournal1.pdf

If the garden tomatoes that are having problems are deficient in micro nutrients it could affect leaf size and curling up,  look at the nutrients in the greenhouse media and consider garden soil and nutrient uptake . 

What is the PH of the greenhouse growing media ? 

PH affects nutrient uptake, compare greenhouse PH and garden PH right at the sick plants area in the row.

7.0 = neutral   
7.1 = moving toward alkaline  and each .1 climb = change in PH

Tomatoes according to variety have different likes and dislikes.

If not a PH difference it could be micro nutrients and / or root nematodes .

In a rusty 55 gal barrel - mix rusty water, one teaspoon of 20 mule team borax soap powder, two teaspoons of epsom salts, one large box of wooden matches, 4-6 cups of regular table sugar, (if garden PH is above 5.5 - 6.5 around sick tomatoes - add 1 quart of lemon juice in the barrel.)

iron, borax, magnesium sulfate, sulfur, phosphorus,  the sugar attacks the root knot nematodes, lemon juice lowers PH slightly and the sugar / lemon juice add reserves of sweet / sour to tomato root area to fuel ripening tomatoes in the field or greenhouse .

Grateful for Psalms 32 and Titus 2:10 - The divinity of Christ is acknowledged in the unity of the children of God.  {11MR 266.2}

Ed Sutton

« Reply #244 on: June 22, 2014, 04:59:17 AM »
a little off topic but youtube links with helpful info that can apply to tomatoes and gardening in general.

plastic crate raised beds and organic additives and rock dusts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeKufjx1GZ8

growing in the snow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnulbOqo0k

signs of the times
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0bsPkDanHk

growing potatoes
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ynRrHHu58 

growing mushrooms at home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx0fbCy3Nok 

growing onions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XrvzYEa0uQ 

increase the size of onion bulbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn19fbNm_PI

a gardener's report about woodchip gardening
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfX525YOr_4

more about woodchips by a gardener using them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAWeHVNtgmk 

I forgot to post in reply #243 water from the barrel around the sick plants and between the rows there, under the mulch and through the mulch, if it works as good through the mulch, stop lifting mulch.

If it's a curled leaves with purplish color at the edges get rock dust - on the ingredients label look for molylybdnum and other trace elements.

Dorine

« Reply #245 on: June 22, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
Thank you Ed and CP for all the suggestions. This will give me plenty to work with. I must say that the last two days have been sunny and warm and already I see an improvement in all of them except the Paul Robeson. I'm thinking that if it doesn't rain for a few days they too will recover. The PH is the same in the greenhouse and the garden at 7. We have built our soil from scratch. It's made up of the following.
From a purchased truck load of organic top soil we added the following:
homemade compost from kitchen scrapes, lots of seaweed and leaves
peat moss
rock dust full of nutrients
green sand
wood ashes
calcium nitrate
organic fertilizers
We have built this up over a 5 year period and all this is covered in a thick layer of mulch.
The rest of the garden is beautiful although something keeps eating my Fordhook swiss chard off at ground level. So now I've planted a whole bed of swiss chard, lettuce, collards and spinach in the greenhouse in the shade and will see if they will do better there. We are finding grubs and insects this year that we have never seen before.

To answer your question Ed about spraying...no there is no spraying done around here. Not very many gardens. There are no fields. We live on the rocks by the ocean. There is no farming of any kind done around here. Down the road from us a gentleman has an orchard of peaches and other fruits but he is very particular about keeping everything organic.

I will check out these websites you've shared and do some experimenting.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Dorine

« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
Update on my tomatoes: The only thing I ended up doing was to add some Epsom Salts around each one and on the heels of doing that we had a heat wave with high humidity move in and stay and my tomatoes within a week changed to a lush dark green with lots of blooms and many tomatoes forming. The leaves have flattened out and happy looking again and so am I. ;D I think what they needed was the heat.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #247 on: July 17, 2014, 04:00:48 PM »
God is GOOD!!  Happy to hear that your tomatoes are doing well, Dorine.  I sure would like to send some of our heat your way.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Dorine

« Reply #248 on: July 17, 2014, 04:15:33 PM »
God is GOOD!!  Happy to hear that your tomatoes are doing well, Dorine.  I sure would like to send some of our heat your way.

I'll accept the offer only if you send a thermostat with it. :)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2014, 04:44:08 AM »
Very soon we will not need that thermostat.  Until then, Jesus has His hand on it. We can be assured that whatever the situation, it will work for our good. It is a promise!  Too hot here, too cold there, but God still provides for our needs. Praise His holy name!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:53 AM »
Update on my tomatoes: The only thing I ended up doing was to add some Epsom Salts around each one and on the heels of doing that we had a heat wave with high humidity move in and stay and my tomatoes within a week changed to a lush dark green with lots of blooms and many tomatoes forming. The leaves have flattened out and happy looking again and so am I. ;D I think what they needed was the heat.

Dorine, how  much salt do  you use and what is the effect ?

Dorine

« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2014, 10:16:26 AM »
Richard I am amazed at how God has taken a most discouraging situation with our garden this year and has turned it into one of the best I've had so far. I've done much praying as I work in it. Yes His promises are sure and I'm so thankful for that. I wonder what it will be like to work in the soil and have no weeds, no pests, no need for compost, no weather systems to contend with and NO aching backs. I can only imagine.

CP, I didn't measure the epsom salts. I took some up in my hand and sprinled it in a circle around each plant and then watered it in. As of a few days ago I have put out three 5 gal. buckets (through out the garden) with partially composted compost (about 2 shovel fulls) and filled the bucket with water and am now watering each plant by hand with the tea. Tedious but seems to be working nicely. Then I water that in with the hose. I have only applied the salts once but I will do it again in about 2 weeks. I have not used sea water yet which is suppose to be very good. I'm within walking distance of the ocean so I don't know why I haven't.

Seeing we are on the subject of tomatoes.....I was wondering how each of you care for them. Do you prune them or let them bush out? I've always pruned mine and am wondering if I would get more yield if I let them go. I'm the sort that likes to be in control of them and not just let them ramble.

colporteur

« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2014, 10:57:21 AM »
What does the salt do for the plant ?

Dorine

« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2014, 12:18:47 PM »
It's critical for seed germination and the production of chlorophyll, fruit, and nuts. Magnesium helps strengthen cell walls and improves plants' uptake of nitrogen, phosphorus, and sulfur. They say you should see a difference within 48 hours of applying it if that is what the plants need. (tomatoes, peppers and roses)

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #254 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:27 AM »
My tomatoes are suffering this year. Not exactly sure why.  I'll post  pic.

Dorine

« Reply #255 on: August 01, 2014, 09:48:44 AM »
My tomatoes are suffering this year. Not exactly sure why.  I'll post  pic.

Oh No! Sorry to hear that Richard. We work so hard preparing the soil and pampering the new seedlings and anxiously wait for the rewards of a beautiful harvest. Well there is still time for recovery. The Lord is trying to teach us something through all of this. He wants us to succeed. Will be watching for your picture.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #256 on: September 19, 2014, 01:30:44 PM »
I have one remaining tomato plant and this is happening to it. I cannot believe it. It flowers and after several days, less than 1/2" on the stem, there is an apparent weakness that causes the stem to break and the bloom dies. This particular plant was grafted onto another and has done beautifully up to this point. This is occurring on every single bloom.  :'( 

What is causing this? Does anyone know?

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2014, 03:27:37 PM »
I bet some kind of bug is infesting it, but I can't be sure.  Take a sample to the nearest agricultural extension office and they might be able to sleuth it out.  There should be one in your county.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »
There was widespread frost in our area this morning, so tomatoes are done for many.  Being up on a hill, we just missed it with 33°.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Dorine

« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
It looks to me like it has not been pollintated. Is it inside and if so do you spank it every day?