Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108607 times)

Dorine

Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #220 on: May 14, 2014, 05:29:16 AM »
I haven't been out to the greenhouse to check on my transplants yet this morning but last night it went down below freezing. Our high's are your low's Richard. In the greenhouse the temperature difference is even worse. Up in the 90's during the day and then down in low 30's - 40's at night. Such a critical time of the year for gardening.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

colporteur

« Reply #221 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:17 AM »
Our temps are about seasonal accept  the highs are a tad bit on the low side. We have lows of 35-45 at night and highs of 50-70.  When we have a streak of several days with highs of 45-50 with clouds and wind it is hard on the tomatoes. I was losing three of  my tomatoes  in the garden with a stalk rot. I pulled them up and trimmed  them off  up where they were healthy and repotted them and put them in intensive care inside with bright light and 80+ degree temps. They  rooted back out like champs in just a few days. I did not realize until recently that they would do that.  I will replant them out in the garden in a week or two. When it stays cold and wet the plants look blighty. I think they will take off and turn dark green as soon as the weather shapes up. We need lows of 50-55  and highs of 70-90 degrees.

The past few years I have one with heirloom but have not been impressed with production or quality.  This year I have reverted back to hybrids one heirloom. Big Zak is an heirloom that is the world record holder for size. The record is something like 7 lbs.  Better Boy is  my favorite producer. Nice large round tomatoes with heavy production. Beefmaster is interesting as it is two tomatoes combined. Often they are deformed but when the blend is complete you can end up with a nice big tomato. I have a few Celebrity this  year and Martino's Roma. For cherry tomatoes my favorites are Orange Paruche Hybrid first and then Sungold Hrbrid  and Sweet 100. Last year I planted the Black Cherry heirloom. It has a very interesting taste and an unusually soft texture. We tend to can a lot of tomatoes and was getting very low production with the heirlooms. I like to have 300 or more quarts on reserve.

What varieties do others prefer when it comes to good production, quality, and taste  ? 
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Dorine

« Reply #222 on: May 14, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
How big were your plants colporteur? I have some that were healthy but small that are drooped over today from the cold last night. I don't know if there is enough stalk to do what you did. So far I've lost about 13 plants out of a total of about 200.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

colporteur

« Reply #223 on: May 14, 2014, 09:29:48 AM »
How big were your plants colporteur? I have some that were healthy but small that are drooped over today from the cold last night. I don't know if there is enough stalk to do what you did. So far I've lost about 13 plants out of a total of about 200.

They were 14 inches tall. However I only salvaged about 5-6 inches. The top has to be reasonably  healthy yet. If the top is wilted and darkened you  probably lost them. I don't think you need much top as long as it is healthy still. Of course,  they will be set back a bit. A nice soft potting mix and plenty of moisture is helpful. I don't know  if this works with both determinite  and indeterminate plants. It is working great with my Better Boys. My replants are a few days old. They have not grown yet but they have a good root system already. The replanting is only beneficial in cases where a worm has eaten through the stalk, it has been broken off, or like in my case the stalk rotted below do to extended cold. As you know, you can bury a tomato plant/stem right up to just below the very top growing point. I like that about tomatoes. They come back stronger with more roots and they are much less effected by the wind. I see people all the time plant a tomato with 6-8" up in the air and the winds wails on them. Buckets, preferably black are also helpful to protect from cut worms and from wind whip. Even adding a thick layer of lawn clippings around the plant not only retains moisture but it heats (through fermentation) so for a couple of days or so it creates some added heat around the plant. I tend to bury the plant fairly deeply in the clippings. That too protects from wind whip.

It sounds like you have top damage frost bite. I would just see if they come back now that the day is here. If your plants are in the green house I would consider putting a small electric heater out there that kicks on when it gets chilly ?  It will only have to raise the temp a few degrees and they will love for it.  ;D

Dorine

« Reply #224 on: May 14, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
Yup! I lost them. Thankfully they weren't all from the same kind. This is really my fault. I knew it was going to be very cold last night but because the day was so beautiful I transplanted them anyway. (just into bigger pots in the greenhouse, not outside) It doesn't pay to be too anxious. I KNOW that. All the rest are doing just fine so I guess I shouldn't feel bad over a few. I hate to see any loss. Thanks for the tips.

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #225 on: May 14, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
I fried some seedlings outdoors.  we have 95 and 65 temps.   Got hot.

Dorine, if you get some water in the green house, it will absorb the heat in the day and release it at night. gallon jugs, 5 gal buckets, or 40 gallon barrels.
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

colporteur

« Reply #226 on: May 15, 2014, 06:11:12 AM »

Yes, it is helpful if  we can harden off the seedlings before transplanting them. They need some direct sun and a breeze to toughen them in. It helps too if we can provide some shade if need be after they are transplanted  and it is very hot and sunny. Even a cedar shingle stuck in beside the plant, as shade can make a big different.

We covered all the tomatoes last night that we had rugs and blankets for. Hopefully the uncovered ones had enough heat from ground to ward off a freeze. I have not checked them yet. The forecast was for 33 degrees. Tonight it is supposed to be a couple of degrees warmer and then we are out of the woods.

Dorine

« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
Just checked on mine in the greenhouse. Some are going to pull through that I thought were finished but will be set back. All in all I've lost 15.  I do have lots of water in 5 gal. buckets in the greenhouse. Maybe I would have lost them all had it not been for them. And yes shade is essential for those fragile transplants. I'm afraid that some of mine got too much sun during the day.

Today I will get my lettuce transplanted and the rest of the tomatoes along with the rest of my peas, carrots, beets and swiss chard. My daughter is on her way over to help and tells me she has many more tomato plants to bring over that she has started inside so it sounds like we will be ok. We want to sell some plants and then tomatoes later in the summer as they ripen to off set the cost of purchased soil and pots. Of course we give away lots to neighbours and family. It's all a lot of work but so rewarding and enjoyable.

colporteur

« Reply #228 on: May 15, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »

You may not have a small immersible tank heater but if you do hang it in one of the buckets. You can heat the water all night and add more heat.

colporteur

« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »
 We had a hard freeze Thursday night of 28 degrees that knocked off 3/4 of my tomatoes. None of the one's uncovered survived and part  of those covered got nailed. All the potatoes froze but that's not a problem as they come back. Of course all the cabbage type plants, onions and peas made it. Fortunately I have a reserve supply of plants indoors and purchased some more from the green house. We should be good to go from here on out with lows  in the 50's.

Some of the farmers had soybeans that were just breaking the crust of the ground when it froze. If the frost would have came a day later or the beans came up a day earlier they would have been history. That would have been an expensive proposition. I think they were crazy for planting beans that early. I suppose with all the crop insurance they are bold. Of course corn can freeze off when it is small and be ok.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #230 on: May 19, 2014, 11:08:55 AM »
Sorry to hear of your loss, cp. It is a blessing that God has provided so many seeds for replanting!!
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2014, 03:55:50 AM »
We had a hard freeze Thursday night of 28 degrees that knocked off 3/4 of my tomatoes. None of the one's uncovered survived and part  of those covered got nailed. All the potatoes froze but that's not a problem as they come back. Of course all the cabbage type plants, onions and peas made it. Fortunately I have a reserve supply of plants indoors and purchased some more from the green house. We should be good to go from here on out with lows  in the 50's.

Some of the farmers had soybeans that were just breaking the crust of the ground when it froze. If the frost would have came a day later or the beans came up a day earlier they would have been history. That would have been an expensive proposition. I think they were crazy for planting beans that early. I suppose with all the crop insurance they are bold. Of course corn can freeze off when it is small and be ok.

I didn't realize you could plant tomatoes so early where you are.  Here it is unwise to plant thembefore the end of May.  I know a guy in northern New Hampshire who puts them in pots and brings them in at night until July.  I saw firsthand why.  We were up there once in the middle of June and there was a hard frost.

At any rate, you still have plenty of time to replant tomato seedlings.  I don't plant spuds until June.  It seems to beat the potato beetle cycle.
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10

Cop

• Senior Moderator
« Reply #232 on: May 20, 2014, 06:22:27 PM »
I don't plant spuds until June.

:o WOW! Down here we plant in January and harvest in May.
My religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself about that, but to be always ready, no matter when it may overtake me....That is the way all men should live, and then all would be equally brave."
— Stonewall Jackson

colporteur

« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2014, 07:16:30 PM »

I didn't realize you could plant tomatoes so early where you are.  Here it is unwise to plant thembefore the end of May.  I know a guy in northern New Hampshire who puts them in pots and brings them in at night until July.  I saw firsthand why.  We were up there once in the middle of June and there was a hard frost.

At any rate, you still have plenty of time to replant tomato seedlings.  I don't plant spuds until June.  It seems to beat the potato beetle cycle.

We are blessed here in that we have no potato bugs. I think it is a soil type thing. They seem to like cooler climate and lighter or sandy soil.  When we were in Michigan they were  plague like. I mean they would eat the plant to the ground in two days. Then we found an organic spray that nails them.

Last frost date here is May 19th. However, the past two previous years were so warm there was no frost after mid April. Two years ago I planted garden in March and April. The winter was so warm and ground temps were high early so I risked it and came out fine. This years has been normal and I got burned a bit. The 30 day fore cast said no frost. However they were way off. Next year I will be a little more patient.

Mark W

« Reply #234 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:12 PM »
Colporteur, Sorry to hear about your plants. Most years here we can get things planted in April. But yes the last two years have been rough. As well you are not alone, for many down here had the same problem, but you leave them alone for a week or two and they will sometimes come out of it. I had way to many out to cover, but the Lord was watching out I guess for I had no frost. I have been putting eggplant into the ground, so I am thinking the cold is gone for the year. Sweet potatoes will stat going in tomorrow as well. Why give me a few more weeks and I will be picking a few maters, can't wait.

Mark W

« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2014, 07:08:05 AM »
Thought I might post a pic some of what I took to the garden show a couple weeks ago for those that like pictures. Had a great time and met a lot of new people and of course sold several thousand plants. Still selling many extras in the yard for I don't want to plant all i have left. The Lord was good and gave us great weather, and protected us on the long trip. As well He gave me some of the best looking plants I could take. If there is any here within driving distance of me in west central Missouri, Free plants if in need! God bless.

Dorine

« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2014, 08:03:59 AM »
Absolutely beautiful Mark. How many different kinds of tomatoes do you plant? What kinds seem to sell the best? I'm still pampering mine along hoping to be able to put out about 100 for sale here. Of course we are way behind you.

colporteur

« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »

Looks great Mark !   That's a lot of stay on top of.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2014, 11:44:45 AM »
Wow! Good job!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #239 on: May 23, 2014, 07:02:10 PM »
Those are mighty beautiful tomato plants, Mark! And, and also a lot of them!!! We are thankful for your expertise and your willingness to share. May God continue to bless you, dear brother.

On another note, my seedlings do not look like marks. :(

Let me share what I think happened. As everyone knows, we've had very warm and dry weather in California. Thus, I was able to put my seedlings out in the sun very early. Because they were in cups an extended period of time, and the sun was so intense, they required much water. I mis-calculated their need for nitrogen. I planted 20 seedlings a month ago in the same soil that my seedlings were potted in. Those plants are not nitrogen deficient, thus I believed the soil to be satisfactory for the potted seedlings. Where did I go wrong?