Author Topic: Tomatoes  (Read 108330 times)

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
Re: Tomatoes
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
Yes, they are my babies that I kept by my bed on my nightstand. It is in a south facing window. :)     

That is a serious commitment!
  For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psalm 119:89 

Richard Myers

• Servant
  • Grace, more than a word, it is transforming power
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2011, 12:22:54 PM »
Jim is still trying to figure it out.  :)  But, he would be pleased to know the the avocado tree in on the piano and the bougainvillea are a few steps away from the tomatoes.  And, the fruit trees are in the ground and are leafing out. What will surprise many is that we have a lawn that could have been planted to fruit trees. I like it, but question spending the money on water and gas. We could have planted it to tomatoes!! And maybe will do that when the day comes when we cannot buy gas
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Marelis

« Reply #102 on: December 17, 2011, 04:21:15 AM »
Colporteur, you are an inspiration as far as being a gardener is concerned.  I could hardly believe the height of your tomato bushes.  I'm looking forward to my second attempt at growing tomatoes and hope to get it right next time.  Gardening sure is something we learn by trial and error.  I have lots of heirloom seeds.  For years I thought there was no point in even trying to grow vegetables where I live.  We have insects and birds galore (which don't touch the herbs but reduce seedlings to a stump in under a day) and the soil is very impoverished.  But I become strongly impressed that I must learn to grow vegetables. I've learned that I must mulch, mulch and mulch some more.  Have become serious about composting and even started a worm farm (with success!)  But if I can become a successful grower of heirloom tomatoes I'll be thrilled....I've seeds for several varieties.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Marelis

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Have any of you tried growing Siberian heirloom tomatoes?  They're meant to be frost resistant.
"Thou wilt show me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore."  Ps 16:11

Dorine

« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
This past week I sliced a tomato I bought from the store (not organic) and found it full of sprouting seeds. Out of curiosity I took a thick slice and put it in a peat pot, covered it with soil and now there are several tomato plants growing. Has anyone had any experience with this? Am I wasting my time and garden space? :-\
Thanks for the instruction on seed saving. This year I'm going to try it. Last year the blight hit and I didn't have enough time in the growing season to let them ripen on the vine.

I thought I'd give you an update on what happened with these tomatoes. They grew beautifully (5 ft. high) and produced identical tomatoes and lots of them to the ones the seeds came from . They had lots of green tomatoes on them when a hurricane type wind storm ripped through our province in Oct. and blew our 12X20 foot greenhouse from it's spot ruining everything inside. It was a fun experiment but I don't plan to do it again.
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

colporteur

« Reply #105 on: December 17, 2011, 03:33:54 PM »
That is very strange, Dorine. i have grown and eaten alot of tomatoes and have never seen seeds sprouting in a tomato even in a rotten tomato.
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #106 on: December 17, 2011, 09:31:47 PM »
That is very strange.  Thanks for sharing Dorine.  It is good to be getting some experience at such things.  I am convinced that I must have some heirloom seeds, but also a lot of hybrids. :)  Then you have to keep them all separated.  fort he following year. But, I am thinking that at some point, there will not be "another year". Praise God!! I am ready to go home. How about you all?   :)
Jesus receives His reward when we reflect His character, the fruits of the Spirit......We deny Jesus His reward when we do not.

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #107 on: December 18, 2011, 06:05:52 AM »
I am ready!

Dorine

« Reply #108 on: December 18, 2011, 06:48:30 AM »
Before I lost my singing voice I sang many solo`s for church, weddings, funerals, dedications etc. One of my very favorites was "Homesick For Heaven". Here are the words....
Home Sick for Heaven

So dear to my heart is the promise of God,
A home with the pure and blest;
Where earth weary pilgrims, strangers here below,
Will find their eternal rest.

Chorus:
I’m homesick for heaven, seems I cannot wait,
Yearning to enter Zion’s pearly gate;
There never a heartache, never a care,
I long for my home over there.

‘Tis Eden, fair Eden, I long to behold,
Where naught can despoil that’s fair;
Where saints of all ages, hold communion sweet,
The glories of heaven share.

But chiefest of all is the thought that enthralls,
That I shall behold my King;
Rejoice in His presence, revel in His grace,
And ever His praises sing.

by Henry de Fluiter

I too long to go home.

Sorry....this has nothing to do with tomatoes but I couldn't resist the opportunity Richard gave us to vote for our yearning to go home.  :)
But this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press  toward the mark. Phil. 3:13,14

Mimi

• www.remnant-online.org
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #109 on: December 18, 2011, 08:02:37 AM »
Amen! I too love that song!

Marelis

« Reply #110 on: December 18, 2011, 10:58:14 AM »
That is very strange.  Thanks for sharing Dorine.  It is good to be getting some experience at such things.  I am convinced that I must have some heirloom seeds, but also a lot of hybrids. :) 
You need hybrids because.....?.....they are stronger/tougher?

Vicki

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2012, 07:32:54 PM »
Marelis, I think Richard wrote that because heirlooms are more difficult to grow.  Also, if I remember right, the heirloom tomatoes we all tried to grow took longer than hybrid tomatoes. Most of mine were still green when the 1st frost came.

Awhile back we were discussing the difference between GMO and hybrids. I can't find that topic so I thought I would post this here since hybrids are mentioned. From Bountiful Garden's catalog (www.bountifulgardens.org):

Hybrid Seeds are seeds from the first generation of a cross between two varieties. . . .  The bad thing about hybrids is not how they are made; it is that their parentage is secret and their seed doesn't "breed true" for seed saving. Hybrids make gardeners dependent on the companies who produce the seeds.. . . We don't carry hybrids. We feel that food crops . . . should be a common heritage we all share, not a set of trade secrets. . . .

I like their idealism.  :)  I've used hybrid plenty of times. The only thing that has bothered me in the past is that I have to buy seed again the next year. Not that I am an expert seed-saver, but I am working on it! I've never thought about secret parentage issues. What would the worry be? If the parent plants were grown with pesticides? GMO?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »
I appreciate the heirlooms because our seed bank is in trouble.  The seed companies are out to make more money at our expense.  We keep losing more and more natural seeds. 

My experience is limited, so I am not an expert, but there are two ideas that come to mind. Hybrids seem to do better at times.  I suppose if we did our study properly, we could find good heirlooms that are not temperamental as mine were the last couple of years.  The hybrids are from my understanding more disease resistant. Some crops like tomatoes, that can make a difference.  On the other hand, when many plant the same hybrid, there is danger the whole crop is wiped out by a new disease. Not so with the heirlooms because each plant is different.

The other idea is that we are not planting for eternity as many are. We are looking for a couple of years at the most when we get down to the end.  So, we can have hybrid seeds for a couple of years and not have to worry about buying seed in the third year. Jesus will come. It is like having the joy of knowing we are not going to run out of oil.  :)    Those who believe the earth will continue for another 2million years are scared to death that their great great great grandchildren will have no oil.  :(   They are afraid that global warming will mean that many cities will be under water in 10,000 years.  :(    We just have to survive a short period of time and then our water and bread will be sure.  :)

So, I am thinking that we do not have to be "purists" in thinking that all has to be heirloom.  I am still trying to work out the cross pollination problem.  Dorine is going to have educate us on this. What we must do so keep our tomatoes from crossing.  It won't effect the crop, but it will show up in the seeds.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
For those in the Northern Hemisphere, it is time for many of us to begin planting our tomato seeds indoors.  I have the seeds, but I am having to look for the time. :)  And how about all those weeds in the garden!

Dorine

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »
To keep the tomato seed pure a simple method is to have two garden plots about 20 feet apart with two different kinds of tomatoes with something tall growing between them like mammoth sunflowers. Also if you grow early, mid-season and late season tomatoes close together there should not be any problem with cross pollination as they will blossom at different times.
This year I have 4 different kinds of tomato seed that I will be planting in 4x5 ft. blocks in a long row and I will save a couple of tomatoes from the centre of each block for next years seeds. We do not have many bees here so that may be why I don`t have much problem with cross pollination. I had to order new tomato seeds this year seeing I didn`t get any seeds saved from last years crop.
I`ve kept all my seeds in the refrigerator this year for the first time. It is suppose to extend the life of the seed much longer. I also read that if you freeze them they are good for about 10 - 15 years. Has anyone tried that?

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2012, 10:44:23 AM »
Dorine, thanks for the information on the heirlooms. Can you post this also in the heirloom thread?  It will be helpful to those who are trying to figure out how to protect their seeds for next year.

Richard Myers

• Servant
    • The Remnant Online
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
How are your tomatoes getting pollinated? Do you have to help them along?

Dorine

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
How are your tomatoes getting pollinated? Do you have to help them along?

Between the wind and the few bees we do have the job gets done. The only time I have to manually pollinate them is in the greenhouse.

colporteur

« Reply #118 on: March 02, 2012, 04:58:25 PM »
In 1820 a crowd of curious onlookers gathered around the county courthouse in Salem, New Jersey. The county fair was in progress, and they jostled one another in eager anticipation, for they were about to witness a daring feat.

Soon a man appeared on the steps, holding in one hand a piece of poisonous fruit that had been part of the fair's decorations. As he held it up for them to see, members of the crowd whispered excitedly to one another, "Is he really going to eat it?" some asked in disbelief. The man was Colonel Robert Gibbon Johnson- and the fruit was a tomato, called in those days the "love apple" and considered deadly poison.

Spanish conquistadors brought the first tomato seeds from Peru to Italy. Upon arrival, the Italians believed the heart shaped tomato was an aphrodisiac, thus tomato in Italian is poma amoris or "love apple." Love apples were tokens of courtship or lawn decorations. Young men gave them to their girlfriends, who would afterward wear the seeds in sachets around their necks. The fruit was admired for its beauty, but because of its relation to deadly nightshade, the tomato was regarded as posion by Americans and no one would dream of eating it.

The crowed gasped in horror as the colonel placed the tomato in his mouth and ate it with apparent relish.

part II tomorrow!    ;D ;D ;D
It's easier to slow a fast horse down than to get a dead one going.

Wally

• Senior Moderator
  • Romans 8:35, 38, 39
« Reply #119 on: March 03, 2012, 03:10:07 AM »
We all owe a great debt to Colonel Johnson.  8)
So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants:  we have done that which was our duty to do.  Luke 17:10